Performance issues - POA and Firefox

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Perhaps it's Firefox 2.0.0.12, perhaps it's this computer (XP Home), or perhaps it's just me... in the last couple of days, when I click on a topic, I get a long pause/hang, with status "waiting on pilots of america" ... click again and the screen blanks, status refreshes "waiting on pilots of america" and hangs, I click Reload page and the thread page opens up.

It pains me greatly to say the site works fine on IE 7 on the same computer.

I'll try again tomorrow on my laptop to see if there's any difference.

Anyone else seeing anything odd with Firefox?

Last edited:
I'll get the occasional hang up but it is NOT related to Firefox or IE. If I press the "stop" button and then "reload" the situation is resolved in most cases.

Good luck Greg.

ive got 2.0.0.7 at school and it works fine.

Here's another helpful Not Cheer. It works fine on Firefox or Windows and Mac for me.

Try emptying the cache on Firefox. Also look at any plugins you have, although I even installed NoScript on the Mac and it works.

To compensate for my "works fine on IE" comment, I'll offset with "works beautifully on Mac OS/X and Safari 3.0.4"

I was on my laptop post-migration with Firefox (2.0.0.12 I think) and it worked very well. Could very well be that particular pc - kids have all kinds of games on it ...

I was on my laptop post-migration with Firefox (2.0.0.12 I think) and it worked very well. Could very well be that particular pc - kids have all kinds of games on it ...

Ahhh, the kids have all kinds of spyware and crapware on it.

They probably have various proxies and DNS service intercepts that get lost fighting over which one gets record and report what you're doing first. Those are what Firefox sees timing out.

I haven't had an issue with Firefox on Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows. I'm leaning towards a spyware problem since it works fine on a 'clean' laptop. I'm also wondering if you're getting the old DNS records when this happens. It wouldn't surprise me if you were if there are spyware problems.

Kevin--do you know for sure if you're spyware free? The problem you describe is not happening for most.

Greg or Kevin: Is this problem easy to reproduce? If so I would be very interested in doing a remote session with you so that we can locate the problem. (Essentially this will share your screen with me so I can see your computer screen as if I was there).

Last edited:
running on my laptop (XP Pro) with the same version of Firefox works just fine. I'm running McAfee, ZoneAlarm, AdAware and Spybot on the pc that behaves badly. I concur it's my problem - I'm very happy with the performance of the boards post-migration.

Last edited:
I haven't had an issue with Firefox on Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows. I'm leaning towards a spyware problem since it works fine on a 'clean' laptop. I'm also wondering if you're getting the old DNS records when this happens. It wouldn't surprise me if you were if there are spyware problems.

Kevin--do you know for sure if you're spyware free? The problem you describe is not happening for most.

Greg or Kevin: Is this problem easy to reproduce? If so I would be very interested in doing a remote session with you so that we can locate the problem. (Essentially this will share your screen with me so I can see your computer screen as if I was there).

I run spyware in the background and did a complete check the other day and it came back clear (I'm on a new laptop however).

As for reproducing...it's too unpredictable Jesse. It's not a big deal as it use to occur prior to the migration as well. That being said, the next time it happens I'll open another session and send you a PM if you're on the board and we'll do the remote session.

Found it - recent update of ZoneAlarm installed Spy Blocker as a Firefox add-in ... turned it off and all is back to normal. It must scan incoming data or something... I timed a few clicks before turning it off. Click on a post and wait 30 seconds while status says "Receiving data from Pilots of America..." and then it will paint the new page.

Oops, spoke too soon... went back and tried again with Spy Blocker disabled and getting the delays again. But only on this pc, so I'll quit whining and figure it out. Or, just quit using this pc here ...

Last edited:
Greg--

I'm willing to help you fix it via a remote session.

Thanks, Jesse. I'll see if I get some time today to get back to it. What's a good time for you to run a remote session?

Thanks, Jesse. I'll see if I get some time today to get back to it. What's a good time for you to run a remote session?
Some time in the evening.

I may have to beg off until tomorrow evening - my son's 21st birthday today - having a family dinner tonight.

Thanks!

I may have to beg off until tomorrow evening - my son's 21st birthday today - having a family dinner tonight.

Thanks!
That is really mean of you. He is 21. He is supposed to go out with his friends tonight and get legally drunk tot he point of pucking. It is a required right of passage. :yes::yes::vomit::vomit::vomit::rofl::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::drink::drink::drink::D:D:eek::eek:;);););)

:) it was his call - mom's homemade dinner tonight.

Saturday we're taking him to Central City (local gambling town) - again, his call. All of his friends that are already 21 are in college out of state, and his local friends are not yet 21.

Back