Performance Charts for a Luscombe 8E

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
I have a 1946 Luscombe 8E with a Continental C-85. The POH doesn't have much in it. Where can I get (or how can I generate) a chart for cruise performance @ X gallons per hours @ X altitude, and a chart for takeoff performance at various density altitudes?

This is the 2nd thread I've seen on this recently. I think it was the same model aircraft too. My I suggest just doing it yourself?

51H80Q8R6NL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here's another good one, a little more recently published:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-ea...-BRINGS-PILOT-RESOURCES-TO-AIRCRAFT-COMMUNITY

flighttestmanual_cover-2018-10-960.jpg

I have a 1946 Luscombe 8E with a Continental C-85. The POH doesn't have much in it. Where can I get (or how can I generate) a chart for cruise performance @ X gallons per hours @ X altitude, and a chart for takeoff performance at various density altitudes?
I am a new Luscombe 8E owner. Just checking to see if you were able to chart out your performance data, and if so, what techniques you used.

I am a new Luscombe 8E owner. Just checking to see if you were able to chart out your performance data, and if so, what techniques you used.
I never did do anything formal. I guess I've just flown the plane enough now and am generally conservative enough with respect to fuel that it's not an issue. And don't let anyone tell you that the mixture in a Luscombe doesn't do anything. With the Stromberg, it auto leans up to 5,000 feet, but at higher altitudes, say around 10,000, I'll run full lean and gain about 40 RPM and save over a gallon per hour. I mention it in a few of my videos. I did, however, run a tank dry on purpose earlier on for testing to figure out about how long I could go. That was without leaning, though, but it gave me a good minimum I'd be able to go, and I always run a timer while I'm flying. Way before my tanks run dry, I want to be out of the plane. Any anyway, I like visiting new airports, so I land pretty frequently.

I never did do anything formal. I guess I've just flown the plane enough now and am generally conservative enough with respect to fuel that it's not an issue. And don't let anyone tell you that the mixture in a Luscombe doesn't do anything. With the Stromberg, it auto leans up to 5,000 feet, but at higher altitudes, say around 10,000, I'll run full lean and gain about 40 RPM and save over a gallon per hour. I mention it in a few of my videos. I did, however, run a tank dry on purpose earlier on for testing to figure out about how long I could go. That was without leaning, though, but it gave me a good minimum I'd be able to go, and I always run a timer while I'm flying. Way before my tanks run dry, I want to be out of the plane. Any anyway, I like visiting new airports, so I land pretty frequently.
I looked at your profile and found your YouTube. I had watched a few of your videos before! Great job on them. I have so many questions, but will take it slow as I come up to speed.

Back