Perfect Landing... Owl Style

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I know this video has been posted before... but it's one, as pilots, that never gets old.

I know this video has been posted before... but it's one, as pilots, that never gets old.

I've seen it before but always fascinating to watch. Looks like he might have some crosswind correction while dropping the landing gear. He doesn't fully deploy the gear until just before touchdown. I wonder what his instructor would say about that?! :)

It's interesting watching the tufts from the underwing go up and over the leading edge with the high AOA on the wing as he slows down.

Every time I watch it I'm amazed at the size and apparent power of the talons. Seeing them up close helps explain why the small dogs and cats are outgunned.

It's interesting watching the tufts from the underwing go up and over the leading edge with the high AOA on the wing as he slows down.

When I was involved with the SCA back in my younger days, one of the lady's had a fan made of an owl's wing (died natural causes). That thing moved way more air with a gentle motion than any funeral home paddle fan at max speed.

For beings built to walk on the ground and climb the occasional tree, we do pretty damn fine. Owls have millions of years of evolution behind them.

Back