Perfect IFR day

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I have an instrument student preparing for a checkride on Monday. Today dawned with low clouds and drizzle, and no ice. PERFECT! We were IMC almost the entire 1.5 hour flight.

Three approaches and two holds on her first foray into the grey abyss. Just barely broke out on the non-precision approach, and broke out about two-thirds of the way down the ILS approaches.

She did very well and should be ready for Monday's ride. It's fun to watch IFR training come together.

I did 1.2 actual with my CFII as a PP just for the experience. Was between layers the entire time and got everything from feeling a bit of spatial disorientation, carb ice, and a momentarily blocked pitot-static system. Breaking out at near minimums with the runway dead ahead is pretty cool.

Good luck to your student.

I did 1.2 actual with my CFII as a PP just for the experience. Was between layers the entire time and got everything from feeling a bit of spatial disorientation, carb ice, and a momentarily blocked pitot-static system. Breaking out at near minimums with the runway dead ahead is pretty cool.

Good luck to your student.

She was in the soup for all but a couple of tenths when we were between layers in one of the holds. Even then we regularly plowed through a taller clouds. We did pick up some carb ice....should have seen her jump when she throttled back and had the engine stumble big-time! Added some carb heat and that problem was resolved.

I try to get all my students some IMC experience before they get their ticket, but it doesn't always work out. So far only one missed out on the real deal during training, but I've flown with him several hours in the soup on a couple of occasions since getting his ticket.

Back