Perf. Charts Test Questions

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
I could use a little sanity check here. If you're prepping for the Private written test, this may be pretty helpful. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could give it a look and let me know if you find errors. Also, let me know if you have problems running it on an iPad. (It will run faster on a regular laptop/desktop.)

It's an interactive exploration of 4 of the performance charts covered in the Private written. These tend to give students a lot of problems. My goal here is to easily show people how to work with them.

http://examograms.com/VFR-Gram09/

Good helping guide. Although, on the first takeoff chart, I don't understand why the arrow only goes to 2,000ft instead of 2,700ft. If it goes to 2,700ft, I got answer B. Maybe I did something wrong.

Going from memory here, but I think the question specified 2000 feet pressure altitude?

Because the pressure altitude is given as 2000ft. T/O weight is 2750 -- perhaps you transposed numbers while reading the problem.

Because the pressure altitude is given as 2000ft. T/O weight is 2750 -- perhaps you transposed numbers while reading the problem.

Going from memory here, but I think the question specified 2000 feet pressure altitude?

Yup! That's exactly what I did. Just went back and redid it. Thanks! other than that, I got the same answers as the test. Thanks for sharing! I think it'll be a good help for students.

So far I've had a spinning wheel since hitting continue on the first page on iPad Air2 on latest iOS/Safari for 2 full minutes now.

Unfortunately, these are high bandwidth programs. Were you on a cell connection or a slow internet connection?

Still spinning? Try reloading the page.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these are high bandwidth programs. Were you on a cell connection or a slow internet connection?

Still spinning? Try reloading the page.

Still locked up, will retry. No, I am on cable fed wifi.

Ok, this time it works well. Did you get Dr Phil to narrarate? :lol:

I don't see anything but a blank screen. In Opera and IE as well. I wonder whether our work is blocking the source of the content. Where is the data being pulled from? And please don't say Akamai. :D

Hi, Lou. I did upload an update this morning. It's possible that you accessed it while the push was ongoing. I'd say clear your cache and give it another try. It is hosted on a Godaddy server.

Still no-go. I wonder if it is simply a browser issue. It seems that you are using HTML5 which could have issues with IE9.
It's not like it's a webpage with awesome airplane pron, I'll live. :D

Yeah, you'll live. It offers it up in Flash for standard computers and HTML5 for mobile, but it's possible that it may be trying HTML5 on your machine and your older version of IE may not support it. HTML5 sucks anyway. Flash blows it away for multimedia stuff. Unfortunately, Flash's days are numbered.

It looks like the temperature scales don't match in the takeoff chart question, Russ. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
It looks like the temperature scales don't match in the takeoff chart question, Russ. Am I missing something?

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying the scales at the bottom of the charts are shifted or something?

Dang, you are correct. I've found a number of errors in the current KTS and this seems to be one of them. It's going to be interesting to shift the Fahrenheit scale on the chart and see what that does to the outcome on that question. I just checked and the older black/white versions got it right.

There's another one question on the Cruise Settings chart that requires you to select the wrong section based on temperature. The KTS was last updated in 2013. I think they're due.

Good catch there, islandboy. I forwarded it on to AFS630. The error is slated to be corrected with a new version of the KTS next year. Meanwhile, I updated the presentation to address the issue. Thanks for reporting it!

Glad to help.

Good catch there, islandboy. I forwarded it on to AFS630. The error is slated to be corrected with a new version of the KTS next year. Meanwhile, I updated the presentation to address the issue. Thanks for reporting it!

Back