Peoria Lunch Get-together 2/25

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
A few of us are planning to be at 3MY
Peoria, IL, USA
Mount Hawley Auxiliary Airporton Friday, February 25th. Lynn (flygirl34q) has proposed a get-together for lunch that day. Anybody else in? Kent, you're not taking Friday classes, are you? Scott, you need a break from work! Mike, I can fly you down! Jesse, Jason, you're going to be there! You too, Dr. Bruce! :)

Now, we just need to figure out where to go for lunch!:cornut:

As of now, I am planning on driving down. Subject to change, of course. Sharon will tag along if she isn't working.

LOL, Grant... I'm really happy that you got to write this thread before I did because I assumed that Dr. Bruce would have his office at KPIA, the larger airport in Peoria. :rolleyes2: I had to peruse my sectional to find 3MY... I've never been there.

See you on Friday! :)

LOL, Grant... I'm really happy that you got to write this thread before I did because I assumed that Dr. Bruce would have his office at KPIA, the larger airport in Peoria. :rolleyes2: I had to peruse my sectional to find 3MY... I've never been there.

See you on Friday! :)
I've met up with him there before, so I was pretty certain that was where he based. Plus, his website says "[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm on the grounds at 3MY (Mt Hawley Airport)". Yes, I just double-checked.[/FONT]

Last time I met up with Dr. Bruce it was at 3MY.

Nice airport, north of KPIA, big ramp, N-S runway. No worries getting in and out of there. KPIA approach is easy to deal with. A short walk from the terminal are a bunch of places to eat too.

I'll be there if I'm fully recovered from this flu crap that has me nailed right now...

...and weather permitting of course.

Last edited:
I'm going to be there regardless of the weather. I'll drive if need be. :)

Count me as "highly doubtful." Got sick earlier this month, thought I was getting better, went flying last weekend and got the worst ear block I've ever had despite not going higher than 5500. I'm not flying again 'til I *know* I'm better. And then some.

FYI: For Central Illinois
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch, predicting heavy snow and dangerous travel conditions Thursday night.
The service says a low-pressure system will move east from the western Plains early Thursday. It will bring cooler air into the area and rain will develop on Thursday, changing to snow Thursday evening and becoming heavy.
Snowfall "will be heaviest in the east central half of Illinois, northeast of a line from El Paso to Decatur to Mattooon to Paris," the service said.
Accumulations of 5 to 7 inches are possible.
The heavy wet snow will make travel dangerous on Thursday night, the weather service says. With winds forecast at 15 to 20 mph, roads will be slick and hazardous, with the potential for blowing and drifting.

Not sure what is going to going on Friday with this thing.

If the WX is good K and I will be there.

FYI: For Central Illinois

Not sure what is going to going on Friday with this thing.

If the WX is good K and I will be there.

The forecast was flurries for up north. I won't go in snow. I was going to take the Mustang.

Doesn't look bad during the day: (the graph is Peoria, Last Update: 4:41 pm CST Feb 23, 2011)

Attachments

• hpc_48_fcst.gif
    hpc_48_fcst.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 6
  • peoria.png
    peoria.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 7
Plane is in Knoxville, I am not. Probably won't make it.

Plane is in Knoxville, I am not. Probably won't make it.

You know, if you decided to live a little closer to your airport... :D

Too bad it's not Saturday. I'm heading to Houston Saturday, and could stop by then (weather permitting). Y'all have fun!

the weather doesn't look very promising for tomorrow... :no:

the weather doesn't look very promising for tomorrow... :no:
I was just looking at it and agree. I also cracked a tooth today and will be seeing the dentist tomorrow at 10:30am. I am not even sure I can make it now.

Central Ill and then up by Grant, Mike and I are all gonna get snow. The Champaign people I am online with right now, are telling me up to 8" for them. Our forecast here is up to 5"

I was just looking at it and agree. I also cracked a tooth today and will be seeing the dentist tomorrow at 10:30am. I am not even sure I can make it now.

Central Ill and then up by Grant, Mike and I are all gonna get snow. The Champaign people I am online with right now, are telling me up to 8" for them. Our forecast here is up to 5"

Yeah, we already have 4 or 5" in the ground here...it's been snowing pretty good all afternoon.

I'll be there. I have pitot heat.

I'm still nursing the flu...no miraculous recoveries here...so I'm out regardless.

I'll be there. Either in the Acura or in a 172. (Bruce, I won't be in 7111W).

Me, too... either way. I'm going to wait and see what the airport(s) look like tomorrow before deciding. Ugh.

I guess we will make a determination tomorrow morning. Just got back from a round trip to Iowa City and it was pretty ugly down there.

Things are looking pretty "doable" for us right now. There is a scattered layer throughout the region at about 2,000 ft but all indicators (pireps, skew-t) putting tops at about 4,000. I just filed IFR.

We'll see what we can make happen - if things worsen in flight then we'll be spending our day in some middle of nowhere Iowa town.

I'm not entirely sure on our departure time yet as I suspect the airplane is buried behind a bunch of snow in some hangar and am not sure how long it'll take line to get it.

Have seen all of the above. Will pick up at KPIA if I see anyone divert.....(for ramp snow, which we are beginning to clear NOW).

What time is everyone expecting to be there? I have an impromptu dental appointment to handle a cracked tooth at 10:30. Depending on what they need to do I might still make it, but it is now a bit more unlikely.

I agree with Jesse that the skew-Ts seem to show tops around 4K (in fact I'd put them even lower around 10AM), but the AF seems to differ:
IL
NW...BKN015-020 OVC050 TOP FL220. TIL 14Z VIS 3SM -SN. 16Z
BKN030. OTLK...MVFR CIG WND.
SW...OVC020-030 TOP FL220. TIL 13Z OCNL VIS 3-5SM -SN. 17Z TOP
160. OTLK...MVFR CIG BECMG 00Z VFR.
ERN...OVC015-025 TOP FL220. TIL 13Z VIS 3SM -SN BR. 19Z OVC030
TOP 120. OTLK...MVFR CIG.

No PIREPS for ice either way right now, and the area west of me is actually reporting SKC, not OVC015-025 . Right around here, though, it's 017BKN.

And there's an airmet for moderate ice from the surface to 7000:
201102251500_us_ICE.gif

Probably be okay flying, but there are other factors that make a car advantageous for me, so I think I'll do that route.

Attachments

• skewt_20356.gif
    skewt_20356.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 3
What time is everyone expecting to be there? I have an impromptu dental appointment to handle a cracked tooth at 10:30. Depending on what they need to do I might still make it, but it is now a bit more unlikely.
I'm figuring on lunch around noon or a little thereafter, but some of us are definitely planning to be there earlier. I don't think it would be a problem if you were later, though.

gprellwitz Probably be okay flying said:
:( Sigh... if it's not one thing, it's another. I still need to shovel off my driveway to get out of the garage! :( I can just imagine what the airport(s) and T-hangar/ramp areas must look like. Ugh. I'm coming form Champaign... flying over driving wouldn't save that much time especially after spending the time shoveling out my hangar door too. I'll see everyone at noon-ish or before. :)

Bruce, good news! You aren't going to need to worry about ferrying anyone to the restaurant! :)

Jesse and Jason have just left Lincoln. Arrival time 10:42 AM.

Greg and Sharon are leaving DBQ at about 10 ish. ETA Peoria about 12:30

Will call Lynn with a better eta.

Jesse and I made it without issue. We didn't even touch a cloud. Grant and Lynn just showed up.

I had fun today in Peoria! :) Dr. Bruce was 3 for 3 getting pilots certified to fly and then we went to lunch at Avanti's, a local Italian restaurant for some health food:

100_3886.jpg

:thumbsup:

Jesse and I made it back to Lincoln. It was great to see everybody today :yes:

About 90 miles from Lincoln it was obvious that we were going to have to do an approach into weather where we might not be able to land. We did some checking and no one was picking up ice.

Picked up an IFR clearance and climbed into the clouds to make sure we wouldn't take on ice. Not a spec of it. The weather at Lincoln was continuing to look like crap and we only had 15 gallons of fuel when we were about 50 miles out. I wasn't comfortable with that situation and we shot the GPS approach into KPMV and topped the tanks. From there we had plenty of fuel to try an approach at Lincoln which worked out nicely. Had that not worked we could have flown to VFR.

A 2nd class medical obtained, over 6 hours of flying, a good 1.5 hours of actual, and two instrument approaches. All in all a great day.

Back