Peoria get-together Friday 7/1?

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Leslie and I are getting together with Dr. Bruce at My Hawley/Peoria (3MY) on Friday around lunchtime. When I was there in March a bunch of us got together and had a wonderful lunch together, even though only Jesse and Jason flew in. Anyone up for a repeat? :yes: I know that there were some who couldn't make it, so here's your chance!

Will be on the way to 6Y9. Holiday weekend!

I swore I saw Lynn chime in that she was going to be there. Looks like her post was deleted.

Lynn can't go. She has to go watch "Bad Teacher" instead.

Much as I'd like to, I have to work Friday.

I'd like to make this one, but the weather might be a problem.

Other issue is a possible mag problem -- being checked out tonight.

Lotsa weather still brewing between here and there, so I'm out. Have fun y'all!

Lotsa weather still brewing between here and there, so I'm out. Have fun y'all!

Yeah, I saw that this AM and knew you wouldn't be here. :sad:

Hoping Kent can make it down. It looks like the tx that was along his route has dissipated to just rain.

Grant/Leslie, Dr. Bruce/Susan and Kent??... Well, how was lunch?? I wish I could have been there with you. The movie I saw with Christopher's friends was just OK... I'd definitely have rather spent it flying and going out to lunch with all of you. :yes:

Well, things didn't all go as planned. Kent got there a little late and had a flat tire on landing. Dr Bruce flew him to Peru to get a replacement. So there were about 3 lunches involved. Will write more when I get to a computer. That said, it was still a great day!

OK... wow... :( I'll bet Kent could have done without the maintenance drama. It seems like there has been a lot of that on this forum lately. Sigh.

Alright, back at a computer now.

Leslie did her medical with Dr. Bruce at shortly after 10AM. Despite her two years of surgeries and other dramas all due to drug side effects, because they'd been communicating beforehand and prepared, she was in an out within an hour with her 2nd class medical. We decided that the three of us, along with Jason, another of Dr. Bruce's clients who's nearing his private checkride, would go out to lunch. We'd head back to pick up Kent when he arrived. We talked to Kent and found that he was just launching, since he was relying on my earlier estimate of "noonish" for lunch.

When we got back to the airport, we still hadn't heard from Kent. Though he was in the DA40, the headwinds were around 30Kts, so it was taking him a while. We couldn't track him, since he wasn't in the system. I kept watching for him, and finally I saw a low wing T-tail on final, and figured it was Kent. I headed out and figured what the heck, I'd video his arrival.

Well, I started to worry when I started hearing this grinding noise from the plane, saw him heading to the right side of the runway, and then stop. I heard the engine rev, but the plane didn't move. Dang! I thought that maybe he'd gone off the edge of the runway, though I hadn't seen any evidence that the plane was out of control.

Anyway, I headed out to the plane after leaving the video and and update with Leslie and Dr. Bruce. The right main was flat, though on the runway. The fairing was grinding on the runway, and it was obvious the plane needed to be towed off the runway. Unfortunately, to get a dolly under the wheel involved removing the fairing first, and then sliding the dolly in with three of us lifting the plane with our backs, because the jack wouldn't raise it high enough.

About this time, one of the flight instructors radioed that she was inbound. Though there was a radio in the tug, she was too far out at that point to hear us. No worries, though, because we knew that she could be reached before she attempted to put down on our heads. :)

Kent and the wonderful folks at the FBO worked out what tire he needed and where they could get it. Dr. Bruce flew Kent in the Seneca to Illinois Valley (KVYS) to get the tire, while Leslie and I went out to Einstein Bagels for a second lunch with Kent's friend Roger, who was enjoying his first GA flight! (He commented that he couldn't even feel anything was wrong until Kent added power and he didn't feel the aircraft moving. He thought the drifting to the right was just the wind pushing them on the runway.)

We walked back to the airport, Kent and Dr. Bruce got back with the tire, the tire was installed, and we all talked for another hour or so. We launched around 5:15. The headwind turned into a tailwind, and we were seeing 150Kts in the Sierra. It turned into an all-day affair, but we had time chatting with folks and enjoyed ourselves.

Of course, I didn't do the approaches I needed to do to get instrument current again, but...

Well, things didn't all go as planned. Kent got there a little late and had a flat tire on landing. Dr Bruce flew him to Peru to get a replacement. So there were about 3 lunches involved. Will write more when I get to a computer. That said, it was still a great day!

Heck of a guy, that Dr Bruce, flying Kent all the way to Peru! So, I take it the Diamond is SO fancy it needs tires directly from the plantation?

Heck of a guy, that Dr Bruce, flying Kent all the way to Peru! So, I take it the Diamond is SO fancy it needs tires directly from the plantation?
Well, there was apparently a lot of discussion about what tires it needed, and I wasn't privy to it. I'll let Kent fill that in. And Peru (KVYS)is all of 39NM from Peoria, so when Dr. Bruce says he's out there, you can believe him! :)

Wow. Great story of pilots helping another pilot, which just always seems to be the norm.

But Kent has now had flats in both the 182 and now the DA40, so I'm dubbing him "Tire Killa!". ;)

Wow. Great story of pilots helping another pilot, which just always seems to be the norm.

But Kent has now had flats in both the 182 and now the DA40, so I'm dubbing him "Tire Killa!". ;)
Yeah, we were talking about painting four silhouettes of tires on his cowling, as this is his fourth.

All day affair. When Kent and I arrive at VYS the mech says, "oh, you are the inner tube guys.....in the office....". The wheel is a 15. WTH is a 15? Diamond is a METRIC, it's a 15 cm rim. Nobody could find the authorization for a 6.00 x 6 tube in a 5.905" rim. So push to shove, nobody wants to install a standard 6.00x 6 tube in the tire (the valve stem is what got damaged). So it's off for the $100 innertube (actually a little more if you count the flying).

The pants on the DA 40 are really really tight and Mike ( the IA) was pretty unhappy with sweating them when he was trying to get out for vacation. But he did.

It was good to see everybody but....it was an all day affair. I just got back in from delivering a TV stand to Macomb (#2 daughter) and got vapor locked for the restart....sigh. So rather than fight it out with pump and battery, we just went for a soda and came back....30 minutes later.

Off to Canada on the morrow, US-CBPatrol and CANPASS willing. Sigh.

Last edited:
Yikes! Seems like I always miss all the fun! :hairraise: Glad it all worked out thanks to Dr. Bruce.

Glad it worked out. I just wonder why Kent is so hard on airplanes for lunch/dinner flights. I seem to recall him having a bit of a detached cowl at 06C one winter's night.

Well, I started to worry when I started hearing this grinding noise from the plane, saw him heading to the right side of the runway, and then stop.

The right main was flat, though on the runway.

Thus, I once again got to use one of my favorite "quotes" (I made it up, does it still count as a quote?): "Flying is always an adventure, it just isn't always the adventure you had planned on."

The landing was fairly normal at first, except I was dancing around in the wind a bit and gave it just a tad of power due to getting too close to the stall a bit farther off the runway than I'd have liked. Very soft touch down but almost too soft, it got a hair off the ground again followed by another very soft touchdown. Roger had just gotten done saying "Wow, that was a lot smoother than I expected!" when I started getting a shimmy and the plane started heading for the right side of the runway. I couldn't hear the scraping in the cockpit, but I needed full left rudder and a LOT of left brake to keep it on the runway. Definitely different than losing a main tire in a steerable-nosewheel airplane.

Dr. Bruce flew Kent in the Seneca to Illinois Valley (KVYS) to get the tire, while Leslie and I went out to Einstein Bagels for a second lunch with Kent's friend Roger, who was enjoying his first GA flight! (He commented that he couldn't even feel anything was wrong until Kent added power and he didn't feel the aircraft moving.)

It was actually just the tube - They put the same tire back on. Not sure of the cause, but the valve stem was where the problem was, it was kind of shredded. It wasn't sheared of like the 182's was last September, and it was still through the appropriate hole in the wheel when we were working on getting it off the runway, but it sure wasn't gonna hold much air. Wish I knew the cause of that. :dunno:

Well, there was apparently a lot of discussion about what tires it needed, and I wasn't privy to it. I'll let Kent fill that in.

Bruce pretty much has it:

The wheel is a 15. WTH is a 15? Diamond is a METRIC, it's a 15 cm rim. Nobody could find the authorization for a 6.00 x 6 tube in a 5.905" rim. So push to shove, nobody wants to install a standard 6.00x 6 tube in the tire (the valve stem is what got damaged).

The tire actually looks a lot like a 182RG-size tire - kind of wide, and smaller than normal. (Part of the "Performance Landing Gear" package... Lower drag.) But it's just slightly different, and rather than put on a 6.00x6 tube that may or may not have been entirely legal and then have to replace it when I got home, we just went with the 100% solution. BIG thanks to Bruce for enabling that - Else the plane probably would have sat for not only the holiday weekend, but another week as well since the mechanic was going on vacation.

And the Citabria and a rental 172. So I'd say I earned it.

Yeah, we were talking about painting four silhouettes of tires on his cowling, as this is his fourth.

And now that I think about it, at least three of the four flats I've had in 900 hours have been inner tube issues. Maybe airplanes should start getting tubeless tires?

Glad it worked out. I just wonder why Kent is so hard on airplanes for lunch/dinner flights. I seem to recall him having a bit of a detached cowl at 06C one winter's night.

Hinge failed on a cowl flap on the 182 that time.

Never a dull moment in this flying stuff, is there?

It was good to see everybody but....it was an all day affair. I just got back in from delivering a TV stand to Macomb (#2 daughter) and got vapor locked for the restart....sigh. So rather than fight it out with pump and battery, we just went for a soda and came back....30 minutes later.

Off to Canada on the morrow, US-CBPatrol and CANPASS willing. Sigh.

Some say that when Greg types messages they can in their brain hear him speak...with his mannerism, etc. Well, I can hear Bruce when he "signs" on-line. :)

KWYM... the more people I meet IRL from this forum the more that happens for me too. :)

Some say that when Greg types messages they can in their brain hear him speak...with his mannerism, etc. Well, I can hear Bruce when he "signs" on-line. :)
I can't tell you how dismayed I am that I had to get permission to depart this not quite as-great-as-prior country....that the customs agent at UGN chewed me out for not calling to inform HER that I was coming despite the FACT that that is no longer on the US- CPB website and I arrived EXACTLY at the time prescribed on eAPIS.

Back