People With Too Little to Do?

Building codes are like that. I recently had a basement finished. The handrail for the stairs leading to the basement had been there since the house was built 16 years ago, and had presumably been seen by the county building inspector at the time. This time when it came down to the final inspection, the inspector said that the handrail needed to be raised about 3 inches in order to meet code. Instead of 37 inches it needed to be 40 inches or something like that. The builder and I both said that he had not touched the the handrail and that it had been there originally. No dice. He had to move it. I also learned other things about building codes in the process. This is just one example. :rolleyes:
Handrails are an important addition to inherently dangerous stairways but perhaps the point of compliance with current code would be more salient if you consider instead of a handrail it were the electrical system.

EX: you might think knob and tube non-insulated AL wire is fine but there is real risk to that old system especially in light of all the appliances we have today.

At least Mr inspector didn't require ADA compliance and red tag your job because the stairway wasn't 36" wide. BTDT. Yes, in a residence with no disabled person.

Last edited:
But you're actually still in suburbia, therefor have relegated yourself to codes and inspectors and the world of permits. Usually, if you have more than 25 acres, you get rid of all that.
Even if I lived on 25 acres I would be subject to building and lot codes, at least out here. I know a number of people who live on 35 acre parcels. As long as they live here in this county they are still subject to the building codes and zoning laws. This is not the wild west, thankfully. I was merely pointing out to Kenny that building codes are not just something that are enforced in the city. He is familiar with the area where I live which in no way could be considered the city.

Last edited:
Handrails are an important addition to inherently dangerous stairways but perhaps the point of compliance with current code would be more salient if you consider instead of a handrail it were the electrical system.
I could see that if I was installing a new handrail. But this one had been previously seen and apparently approved by the original inspector when the house was built.

Back