Pensacola/Destin Airspace

daveconeal

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I'm a fledgling pilot (100 hrs) about to embark on one of my longest cross-countrys to date from Dallas, TX to Destin. The direct approach into Destin looks a bit busy with the P'cola Class C, AFBs, etc. Any info on what I might expect and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Welcome, Dave.

Eglin/Tyndall are great to work with. I fly into Panama City and have never had any issues whatsoever with Eglin/Tyndall. Keep your head on a swivel for high speed traffic and all will be fine. WRT Pensacola, just fly over the Class Charlie. Enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
Dave: I've done that trip many times but mostly IFR. It is busy airspace and I highly recommend flight following at least from Mobile east. When I file from here (Addison), its the DP to Alexandria, to mobile, then direct. There is some restricted airspace around Alexandra and just west of Mobile you'll need to stay clear of.

The controllers usually take me south over the water between Pensacola and Destin. As has been said Eglin is great to work with. I'd really study the charts from Pensacola east and make sure you know what's what, but with flight following or IFR they should direct you pretty well. The only issue with flight following is they can drop you and if they do, you really need to understand the airspace well. There is a lot of military training west of Destin and over the water to the south. More reason to be talking to the local controller.

Have a great trip. That's one of my favorite places. Since they've gotten the second FBO, pricing has gotten a bit more competitive. There was a fuel discount on weekends last time I was in and I was able to negotiate a bit on the rental car.

Best,

Dave

Hey guys, Thats a trip I plan to make one of these days from dallas too! so im intersted to see how it goes..

I thought I would mention that they just opened a new airport in Panama City so check that out, it might not be on any printed maps yet.. it opened in May I believe....

I got married in destin in may, and when we flew into Eglin, there was a lot of traffic, but a lot of GA airports around too.. We had an F-15 pulling RTT's over the runways after we landed..

I fly from Pensacola to Tyndall AFB (east of Panama city) everyday going to work and everyday going home from work. Tons of small plane traffic and good controllers. Plan on staying just south of the sand to keep out of the restricted areas, but the controllers will help you out. Just be on the correct hemispherical altitude and you'll be good to go.

Head's up for the new panama city int'l (ECP), I haven't landed there in my Glasair (did a few low approaches in the Eagle there) but I've heard horror stories of $50 landing fees for small aircraft. PFN is still open for now and I recommend going there in a small plane.

PM me if you want more local info.

Back