Penn Yan Aero Conversion Kit

Dbarbee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Barbee
Does anyone have any experience with the Pann Yan Aero conversion kit?

The kit includes all of the parts necessary to convert a Lycoming O-320 to a 180 HP O-360. The kit is intended to allow you to have your own mechanic or shop install the kit during an overhaul.

The kit is $9,800 and includes the prop, new parts, STC paperwork, and instructions. Penn Yan estimates 50-55 hours to install the kit. Even paying a shop or mechanic $10,000-$15,000 to install the kit, this almost seems too good to be true considering Penn Yan charges $38,000 to do the same conversion in their shop.

Ideally it'd be great to hear from someone that's actually used the conversion kit but I'd welcome any thoughts or considerations.

It would seem unlikely that the kit includes the parts to convert an O-320 into an O-360. The conversion requires a crankshaft, connecting rods, pushrods, cylinders and a carburetor.

It would seem unlikely that the kit includes the parts to convert an O-320 into an O-360. The conversion requires a crankshaft, connecting rods, pushrods, cylinders and a carburetor.

Well actually, the web site would lead you to believe that it does come with the crankshaft, pistons, rods, cylinders, carb, etc. The conversion kit description states: "Everything listed in Option One" and Option One has an extensive list of parts included.

After several frustrating email exchanges, I finally got the answer I expected. The conversion kit only contains the airframe parts necessary to install your own O-360 onto your airplane, not to convert your O-320. Still, at $9,800 that makes it very competitive to AirPlains' kit at $13,999. (Which does not include the gross weight increase STC)

It is a great conversion. Do it if you can! Having been a partner and test pilot at Penn Yan years ago I had the privelage of flying a bunch of them. A clean one will true 130 Kts wide open at 7-8,000'. Saw some light ones out the door with a useful load over 1040#.

I have a 172N with the Air Plains conversion, Power-Flow exhaust, exhaust stack fairing, factory wheel & brake fairings and flap gap seals. It trues out a hair over 125 KTAS at 65%, and 130 or so at 75%.

Well actually, the web site would lead you to believe that it does come with the crankshaft, pistons, rods, cylinders, carb, etc. The conversion kit description states: "Everything listed in Option One" and Option One has an extensive list of parts included.

After several frustrating email exchanges, I finally got the answer I expected. The conversion kit only contains the airframe parts necessary to install your own O-360 onto your airplane, not to convert your O-320. Still, at $9,800 that makes it very competitive to AirPlains' kit at $13,999. (Which does not include the gross weight increase STC)

Gross weight increase is another $995 at Air Plains. If you go the new motor route you get roller tappets which should reduce cam spalling which I guess is an issue with Lycs.... I'm spying a run-out 172L on craigslist for $12k. To have Air Plains install the whole kit and kaboodle it would be an additional $52k but the performance increase brings the 172 on par with a 182 in terms of useful load and speed (almost). Powerflow exhaust would be another $4k...

find a, m model 172 with the e2d engine get the stc to put in the higher comp pistons than you got 160 hp for nothing and it performs almost as well on 8 gph. and you will never get your $ back on that stupid conversion .if you truly need 182 performance buy a 182

To have Air Plains install the whole kit and kaboodle it would be an additional $52k but the performance increase brings the 172 on par with a 182 in terms of useful load and speed (almost). Powerflow exhaust would be another $4k...

Or you can just buy a nice Archer and save a few bucks and achieve the same results.

I have a 172N with the Air Plains conversion, Power-Flow exhaust, exhaust stack fairing, factory wheel & brake fairings and flap gap seals. It trues out a hair over 125 KTAS at 65%, and 130 or so at 75%.

Same setup here on a 172R, we are seeing 121-122 KTAS at 65% running LOP. The conversion is well worth it, IMHO.

Back