Pending change to anonymous postings...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Unfortunately, with the new software upgrade that's coming, there are some things that just won't carry forward.

One click anonymous posting is, sadly, one of them. I can not find an upgrade to the option that allows you to post anonymously in Medical Matters and Lessons Learned without logging out.

In order to preserve the anonymous identity of the posters who posted anonymously in those two forums, the poster identity behind the anon post will be changed to "Unregistered" before the upgrade. This means that if you were the anonymous poster, you will no longer be able to edit your post.

The good news is, with this change, we'll have only one method of anonymous posting, and it will have no record of who you are (except the IP used to post from).

The bad news is, in order to post anonymously, you will have to log out before posting.

ejensen said:
Will you still be able to edit/delete the posts?
Do you mean the poster? Or the moderators?

The moderator will be able to delete posts, yes. The users who posted them, however, will have no ability to do so any longer.

Greebo said:

The moderator will be able to delete posts, yes. The users who posted them, however, will have no ability to do so any longer.

Mental note: remember to spell check first if I post anonymously or everyone will know who it is....

Greebo said:

Users - I assumed admin could delete. Haven't used anon yet. Will remember to be careful if I do.

Thanks

Well, this is really best way of preserving anonymity anyway, as all the subpoena in the world can't get more than IP address, and most folks will then be identifying only one IP in a range of available IPs for PPPoE, etc.

SCCutler said:
Well, this is really best way of preserving anonymity anyway, as all the subpoena in the world can't get more than IP address, and most folks will then be identifying only one IP in a range of available IPs for PPPoE, etc.
This is very true, and something that's been a talking point in the management team before. Even if "one click anonymous" is eventually upgraded to 3.5.0, we may not re-incorporate it...

Back