Pedestrians - RANT

If the worst struggle that you have to overcome during your day is slowing down to pass cyclists, your life is okay

It's not the worst struggle of my day. Just a rant, my fellow internet-forum-aviation-enthusiast.

And I’m curious about the spandex and TDF comment. Is every adult male in a football or basketball jersey offensive to you as well? They must be delusional living out their NBA and NFL fantasies.

Not offensive. Not sure where I mentioned being offended, here. Seems it is you who is the triggered one. Love that word, by the way. Seems as though everyone is now triggered by something. Used to be that we would just get irritated by something. Or rant about something. Now we are 'triggered'.

Hey, I'll be here on and off all day if you guys want to keep up the posts. I have a light day at work and won't be flying anywhere until tomorrow AM.

My only unkind words I have for the cyclists (especially the weekend pseudo-peletons) is that they have less respect for pedestrians/joggers than they demand from autos. I've been pretty much run off the road by these guys dressed like colorblind superheros because their "training" can't allow them to give a couple of feet of clearance to a guy running on the fog line.

It's not the worst struggle of my day. Just a rant, my fellow internet-forum-aviation-enthusiast.

Not offensive. Not sure where I mentioned being offended, here. Seems it is you who is the triggered one. Love that word, by the way. Seems as though everyone is now triggered by something. Used to be that we would just get irritated by something. Or rant about something. Now we are 'triggered'.

Hey, I'll be here on and off all day if you guys want to keep up the posts. I have a light day at work and won't be flying anywhere until tomorrow AM.

Okay, I‘ll rephrase and avoid the word triggered.

Is cycling attire less acceptable to you than other forms of athletic attire and does it contribute to your belief that you should not be required to share public roads with them.

Okay, I‘ll rephrase and avoid the word triggered.

Is cycling attire less acceptable to you than other forms of athletic attire and does it contribute to your belief that you should not be required to share public roads with them.
Spandex shows too much. Some people just don’t have spandex worthy bodies. Just like some people shouldn’t wear bikinis. I didn’t say couldn’t. But I said shouldn’t. I don’t sing in public as a courtesy to the public because I have a crappy singing voice.
And bicyclist do not pay road tax. Allowing them on the road is a courtesy that they did not pay for. Perhaps a bicycle registration fee to support installation of bicycle paths adjacent to the roads

Is cycling attire less acceptable to you than other forms of athletic attire

No.

does it contribute to your belief that you should not be required to share public roads with them

I don't have that belief. I have the belief that if there is a dedicated bike lane available, the people on bikes should use it.

Here's the problem with some bike paths: If they aren't part of the road, you have to stop at every damn cross street. I am not going to ride my bike 200 yards, stop, unclip, clip, start, ride 200 yards and repeat. And cars that pull up to the main road off the side street block the bike path, or they block it where it crosses their driveway. So yeah, that's why you're going to see bikes on the road when there is what looks-like-a-nice-but-is-really-a-****-ass-path next to it.

What is so triggering to you about having to share the roadway with others? If the worst struggle that you have to overcome during your day is slowing down to pass cyclists, your life is okay.

And I’m curious about the spandex and TDF comment. Is every adult male in a football or basketball jersey offensive to you as well? They must be delusional living out their NBA and NFL fantasies.

Most of those adult males don't gear up in their beloved Patriots jersey to go play tackle football with a bunch of other jersey-wearing guys, lol.

Spandex shows too much. Some people just don’t have spandex worthy bodies. Just like some people shouldn’t wear bikinis. I didn’t say couldn’t. But I said shouldn’t. I don’t sing in public as a courtesy to the public because I have a crappy singing voice.
And bicyclist do not pay road tax. Allowing them on the road is a courtesy that they did not pay for. Perhaps a bicycle registration fee to support installation of bicycle paths adjacent to the roads

That’s a great idea. Since heavier and larger vehicles inflict more damage and take up more space on the roadways, we should tax bicycles and motor vehicles accordingly. I think $5 per pound per year of GVW is a good starting point. I’ve got my $100 ready.

The idea of not wanting tax dollars to go to services that you don’t use or agree with is pretty entertaining on an aviation site. There are a lot of taxpayers who will never set foot in a private aircraft paying to maintain your local airport.

Most of those adult males don't gear up in their beloved Patriots jersey to go play tackle football with a bunch of other jersey-wearing guys, lol.

Does that make it more or less acceptable?

Does that make it more or less acceptable?

Neither, just pointing out that most guys wearing an official team jersey don't wear it to participate in the activity. Most guys who do still participate in a pickup game wear an old t-shirt or something, lol. Soccer players don't wear Messi jerseys during weekly practices. Cycling guys wear the full team gear like they are drafting Lance Armstrong himself! Sure, some of it is to combat the chafing inherent in the sport, but some of it is overkill for the Saturday morning casual ride with the group.

The idea of not wanting tax dollars to go to services that you don’t use or agree with is pretty entertaining on an aviation site. There are a lot of taxpayers who will never set foot in a private aircraft paying to maintain your local airport.

Except it's not that cut and dried.

Neither, just pointing out that most guys wearing an official team jersey don't wear it to participate in the activity. Most guys who do still participate in a pickup game wear an old t-shirt or something, lol. Cycling guys wear the full team gear like they are drafting Lance Armstrong himself! Sure, some of it is to combat the chafing inherent in the sport, but some of it is overkill for the Saturday morning casual ride with the group.

Yeah, I don't get that. I have a pair of white riding shorts, that I wear under non baggy regular looking shorts, and wear a relatively tight, but bright solid color T, without any sponsorship names on them. I don't get the whole dress up like it's the TdF either.

Neither, just pointing out that most guys wearing an official team jersey don't wear it to participate in the activity. Most guys who do still participate in a pickup game wear an old t-shirt or something, lol. Soccer players don't wear Messi jerseys during weekly practices. Cycling guys wear the full team gear like they are drafting Lance Armstrong himself!

Many of the serious cyclists you encounter are on teams, some local, a few national.

[QUOTE="Cervieres, post: 3086916, member: 42565"

The idea of not wanting tax dollars to go to services that you don’t use or agree with is pretty entertaining on an aviation site. There are a lot of taxpayers who will never set foot in a private aircraft paying to maintain your local airport.[/QUOTE]
I am not sure I agree with your analogy. That I keep my plane at a tax supported Airport is largely incidental to the purpose of the airport. My local airport is supported 80% from the parking fees of the airline riding public. Plus the aviation fuel tax purchase goes directly to support public airports. Where at least in my state the road is supported in large part with fuel tax dollars. Like electric cars, Bicycles owners provide no direct funding support to roadways. But I see your direction.

I am kind of disappointed. I was hoping more for a discussion about why it’s important that anybody can wear spandex wherever they want.

Last edited:
So?

I don't wear my travel bowling gear when I'm just practicing.

Even small amateur teams have sponsors, hence the attire with sponsor logos. Sometimes it doesn’t amount to much more than discounted equipment or services, but part of the deal is that team members wear team attire to display sponsors logos during races or on training rides.

Many of the serious cyclists you encounter are on teams, some local, a few national.

Great. I play on a soccer team, games every Friday night. I also play adult baseball. I wear a generic t-shirt and shorts when practicing. I save the jerseys for game day.

Great. I play on a soccer team, games every Friday night. I also play adult baseball. I wear a generic t-shirt and shorts when practicing. I save the jerseys for game day.

I’m guessing if you have sponsors, their logos are on billboards along the outfield. Sponsored cyclists are the billboards.

I still remember bicycle messengers in the city - a friend referred to them as bicycle terrorists based on their behavior. Email and DocuSign have done most of the in.

I’m guessing if you have sponsors, their logos are on billboards along the outfield. Sponsored cyclists are the billboards.

Our travel softball team was sponsored. We still only wore uniforms for games, not practice.

Sponsors for the fields are completely different (usually) from sponsors for a team, thus anything that was on the outfield walls (none for us because the fields are city/taxpayer-owned) only pays for the sports complex. Team sponsors are on the players jerseys. Point still remains, many road bikers take it way too seriously when they're just out for a casual ride. It's odd. Deal with it. Right up there with yelling "STRAVA!" at other bikers who might be in their way of achieving a personal best on a phone app.

Back