PDF documents?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Help. I can't save PDF documents. If someone sends me a PDF doc I open it and then try to save it so I can refer to it later it won't work.

I get the email with the pdf attached I open the attachment and then click "Save As" It always tries to save it in some directory called OLK in temoroary files but I then try to put it in the appropriate file. I try to save as a specific file ie. Johns contract.pdf as opposed to jhn3.pdf because if I don't put a decent name on it I won't know what the hell it is the next time I look at it.

When I go back to open it I get some kind of freakin Klingon code. What am I doing wrong?

Adam -

I use Netscape for mail. If I right click on the .pdf attachment name (without having displayed the attachment) and save it (in whatever place I select), I can bring the saved file back up in Adobe by either clicking on it with windows explorer, or opening it with Adobe reader.

1. Are you using a web-based email service such a hotmail, yahoo etc., or a POP email with MS Outlook or Outlook Express?

2. Have you updated your adobe acrobat program lately? Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html and download the latest free version and install it.

I tried to duplicate your problem, by opening a PDF file directly from an email that someone else sent me and then "save as" a different name, in a different location, with no problem.

The latest version of reader is v. 7.0.7. open the reader and go to help>about to check your version.

This is usually a version issue. Follow Richard's advice and see what happens.

Adam, if you are opening the file in a browser window (as often happens if you simply click on the attachment), and you do a "save as," you are saving from the browser, not from the Acrobat; you should use the Acrobat save icon (little picture of the disk on the Acrobat toolbar, below the browser toolbar).

Better answer, though, is to do like Bob the wacky-flingwing-flyer does, and right-click the attachment (before opening it), save it where you want it stored, and open it FROM ACROBAT.

Back