PCIe 2 x1 USB 3 Adaptor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by RJM62, Dec 10, 2016.

1. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    I've been out of the hardware end of things for a while and I don't recognize most of the companies that manufacture expansion cards these days.

I'm thinking about buying a full-height PCIe 2 x1 USB 3 card. It can be 3.0 or 3.1, though 3.1 would be preferable for future-proofing. It will be installed on an HP desktop running Win10 Pro.

I don't absolutely need the card. I do have two USB 3.0 ports available on the front of the computer. But I'd rather connect the new device (ioSafe hard drive) to the rear if I can find a reliable card that's going to be free of drama.

I could also use a hub if it's reliable. The attached devices will never be in use at the same time. But I have no experience with USB 3 hubs, and my experiences with USB < 2 hubs have been less-than-wonderful over the years.

Who makes decent cards and hubs these days? I basically just want the thing to be reliable and trouble-free, and all the companies whose stuff I trusted years ago seem to have disappeared.

Thanks.

Rich

2. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Honestly I've just been using hubs and buying them from Amazon with decent reviews. Their return policy is so good, anything that misbehaves goes instantly back in a box to be returned.

This has the added advantage of finding *really* cheap stuff I normally never would have purchased -- that works. I don't even know the brand of the little USB 3 powered hub (powered can save some headaches of course) that's on the desk, but it was like $16 and held up to the initial "will it really run USB 3 speed" tests and didn't misbehave beating on it for a week, so its little dumb $16 dollar butt got to stay. LOL.

RJM62 likes this.
  3. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    Yeah, that's what I wound up doing. It should arrive today. It's an Anker hub that has a bazillion positive reviews. I forget the price offhand, but it was < $20.00. MSRP is ~ $40.00.

Rich

denverpilot likes this.