PC based video editor

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I use Power director by cyber-link. It is okay and very in expensive.
In that same price range (Free in the piratebay) are there better video editors?

What video editors do you use that are not like after effects as far as price / learning curve but maybe have a little more to offer. Power director is simple and intuitive but everything sort of comes out looking a little makeshift for lack of a better term.

Also it doesn't deal with HD video well at all.

I use movie maker. All I do is cut stuff short, fade between clips, and lay on music. Works. Probably already installed on your pc, doesn't get cheaper then that.

I thought they got rid of that when Win7 rolled around.
Not currently installed on my machine.

That was the only thing I liked about Vista

My short list of suspects is: Microsoft Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle Studio, Corel Video Studio, and Cyberlink Powerdirector. Some folks even use Youtube as their main editor!

I've used them all and, IMHO, PowerDirector is the best. It just so happens that many of the magazine review/editors also seem to like it best.

What sort of problems are you having with HD? As far as I've seen, it works great.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro because it's included in my Creative Cloud subscription. It's also powerful way beyond my modest editing needs. My using Premiere Pro is roughly analogous to a 6-year-old banging out chopsticks on a Steinway. But hey, it's included in my subscription, so I use it.

Learning-curve wise, I regularly use maybe 1 percent of Premiere Pro's capabilities, and I reckon I understand maybe another 1 percent; so let's say I'm competent at 2 percent of what it can do. That 2 percent was not difficult to learn. I was able to work at that level the same day I installed the software, so I don't think the learning curve to the 2 percent level was very steep.

Some day, I may shoot for 3 percent. That could be lot harder.

Rich

I have Adobe Premier Elements but find MS Movie Maker is easier to use and the result is all I am looking for.

Sony Movie Studio Platinum.. like Sony Vegas, but less than $100. I find it easy to use and powerful.

moviemaker......free......easy. advanced? probably not, but works for my basic editing needs.

Sony Movie Studio Platinum.. like Sony Vegas, but less than $100. I find it easy to use and powerful.

Yep. Pretty powerful, but also simple if you need simple.

I had some issues with PowerDirector until I upgraded the hardware I was running it on. How old is your computer and how much memory?

~6 years old
4Gb

I had a 4+ year old laptop with 4GB and it didn't run well at all. I upgraded both my laptop and desktop to I7 with 8 GB and 16 GB respectively and it runs great. I couldn't even play while editing with the older machines.

I had a 4+ year old laptop with 4GB and it didn't run well at all. I upgraded both my laptop and desktop to I7 with 8 GB and 16 GB respectively and it runs great. I couldn't even play while editing with the older machines.

I'm pretty sure he's maxed out at 4GB RAM on that mobo.

Richard

Just for grins, I dug out 2x2Gb chips and 2 512 mb chips and the computer found it all.
the 512s are really slow but properties showed 5gb (4.75gb usable)

Just for grins, I dug out 2x2Gb chips and 2 512 mb chips and the computer found it all.
the 512s are really slow but properties showed 5gb (4.75gb usable)

If it is a 32 bit OS, it will only use about 3.8 GB. I think that machine is a little long in the tooth for video editing.

I was considering buying a home workstation as a result of this thread. I have a Mac mini, but I just think I need something better for x-plane and gopro video processing. I was looking at some of the x force pcs that seem to be a nice compromise.

Is it that bad?

It is AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 2.00 Ghz

il_570xN.358378640_a1cd.jpg

I was considering buying a home workstation as a result of this thread. I have a Mac mini, but I just think I need something better for x-plane and gopro video processing. I was looking at some of the x force pcs that seem to be a nice compromise.

Here is a good article that could help:

http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Vi...iting/0x4aebb06ba071d2b6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx

We highly recommend Intel Core i7 processors.
In the past we would recommend Intel over AMD for compatibility reasons. Then when Dual Core processors first came out we gave the upper hand to AMD. With the Core 2 Duo processors Intel re-took the top spot for video editing and with Core i7 Intel’s lead has only gotten stronger. While AMD machines will work, we think Intel is definitely the way to go for video editing. Those on a tight budget can go with a Core i5 for basic video editing, but you must get a Quad core if you plan on editing AVCHD, DSLR or GoPro footage. Without at least 4 physical cores editing these HD formats will not work well at all.

I don't know if I agree with their recommendations to buy Dell or HP (even though I personally am partial to HP). The top end of almost any manufacturer's line is going to be good stuff, and the bottom end of almost any manufacturer's line is going to be crap. I have been happy with higher-end HPs, Acers, Dells, and others; and I've been unphappy with lower-end products by those same manufacturers.

I do agree with them regarding the current state of processors, however. I used to be a huge AMD fan. For a while there, they were really flexing their muscles and showing the world what they could do. But it didn't take Intel long to take back the lead.

I find their advice regarding chipsets to be a bit puzzling. I agree that the chipset is the single most important component to consider when buying a motherboard, which is what they also seem to be saying; but then they don't specify any particular chipsets as being good choices.

For what it's worth, over my years of building and fixing computers, I've had the fewest problems (none that I recall, actually) with AMD or Nvidia (nForce) chipsets for AMD systems, and Intel chipsets for Intel systems. I also like Intel's friendliness to developers and system builders, particularly in the open-source community.

I've had the most problems with Via chipsets, not only in terms of failures and conflicts, but also in terms of the company's apathy and non-responsiveness to inquiries and support requests.

Rich

I don't know if I agree with their recommendations to buy Dell or HP (even though I personally am partial to HP). The top end of almost any manufacturer's line is going to be good stuff, and the bottom end of almost any manufacturer's line is going to be crap. I have been happy with higher-end HPs, Acers, Dells, and others; and I've been unphappy with lower-end products by those same manufacturers.

I do agree with them regarding the current state of processors, however. I used to be a huge AMD fan. For a while there, they were really flexing their muscles and showing the world what they could do. But it didn't take Intel long to take back the lead.

I find their advice regarding chipsets to be a bit puzzling. I agree that the chipset is the single most important component to consider when buying a motherboard, which is what they also seem to be saying; but then they don't specify any particular chipsets as being good choices.

For what it's worth, over my years of building and fixing computers, I've had the fewest problems (none that I recall, actually) with AMD or Nvidia (nForce) chipsets for AMD systems, and Intel chipsets for Intel systems. I also like Intel's friendliness to developers and system builders, particularly in the open-source community.

I've had the most problems with Via chipsets, not only in terms of failures and conflicts, but also in terms of the company's apathy and non-responsiveness to inquiries and support requests.

Rich

I believe the HP/Dell recommendation is specific to their workstation class desktops. These use Xeon processors and target CAD users for the most part in my experience. They are certainly not required for amateur video editing.

I believe the HP/Dell recommendation is specific to their workstation class desktops. These use Xeon processors and target CAD users for the most part in my experience. They are certainly not required for amateur video editing.

Perhaps not, but the way I look at when I'm building a custom PC (which is rare these days), if another couple hundred dollars can extend the machine's useful life for another year or so, then probably it's worth spending. If built from quality components, most machines obsolesce before they break down. This is especially true for someone whose primary use of the computer is going to be resource-intensive.

Of course, there are other considerations, such as where in the OS's life cycle you happen to be or whether there are significant technical advances in the immediate future. When we were on the cusp of 64-bit processing on workstations, I actually encouraged clients to live with their existing machines a bit longer if they could. No matter what I did on a 32-bit system, the 4GB RAM limit would always be a brick wall.

Rich

I use lightworks.. It's quite powerful, but steep learnign curve.. Can't beat the price either 0$

Watch the learning curve.. took me over an hour to figure out how to import a youtube clip, edit and republish it

Watch the learning curve.. took me over an hour to figure out how to import a youtube clip, edit and republish it

I would be pi##ed if someone took my youtube video and republished it. I did not know one could do this.

If you know of a free video editor please post a link to it. I had an HP machine and it ran Vista. After about 10 years the hard drive crashed. I really miss the video editor that came on that machine. So easy to use and very powerful. I could do a lot with that editor and it did not take a lot to figure it out. I have no idea what it was called, been to long.

On the machine I have now " Acer laptop quad core " I have windows live Movie Maker. I find it hard to use and some things I just can not do with it. I am sure its me for I am stupid when it comes to a computer. But that Video editor on the HP machine, I could do just about anything with that program.

I use lightworks.. It's quite powerful, but steep learnign curve.. Can't beat the price either 0$
I'm glad to hear someone else know about Lightworks. I absolutely love it, at least after the fairly steep learning curve. If I just need to do a quick job (edit out a scene or convert), I just use VideoPad or Freemake, respectively. Those 3 pieces have done everything I've needed, and the best thing is they're all free.

I would be pi##ed if someone took my youtube video and republished it. I did not know one could do this.

If you know of a free video editor please post a link to it. I had an HP machine and it ran Vista. After about 10 years the hard drive crashed. I really miss the video editor that came on that machine. So easy to use and very powerful. I could do a lot with that editor and it did not take a lot to figure it out. I have no idea what it was called, been to long.

On the machine I have now " Acer laptop quad core " I have windows live Movie Maker. I find it hard to use and some things I just can not do with it. I am sure its me for I am stupid when it comes to a computer. But that Video editor on the HP machine, I could do just about anything with that program.

Was my content for work. We stream our council meetings live to youtube.. I needed to edit out 15 min of the logo and bumper music

This is good stuff.
I am actually editing video for my work to day.
This gives me an excuse to try all of these out.

6PC,

How did it work out?

I cant register it.
It asks me to create an account so I did.

Then the app brings up a login screen and says no account created, do I want to manually register so I say yes and I try and create an account and it tells me the account already exists. Try to login and it tells me I need to create an account.

The registration screen is nice though. It is one of the nicer EULA screens I have used so far.

Back