PC and Xbox CD

kellyo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kello
I got this xbox game that has a great sound track and I wanna copy the files over to the harddrive on my PC. Can anyone help me with this? Is it possible? How do I do it please (need detailed info)?

The game sound track is from THUG2, THUG1, and THPS4.

Scratch this itch please.

S'ok. I can say this, when I put the xbox CD in the drive, the drive sounds like its about the vomit. Maybe I shouldn't fool with it.

The only way I would know how to do this. Is probably a bit more then you'd want to do.

First off. You need to crack open your xbox and solder together two points. These enable you to write over the BIOS. Now the problem is the Xbox will not run unsigned code.. So THEN.

You will need the bond game for the xbox. in that you then load some code in the Load Game part, the code will cause a buffer underrun and then launch whatever you want.. In this case linux. From there you can overwrite the bios with a custom version which allows unsigned code to be ran. You then install a new dashboard, to replace the default xbox one.. Think of the dashboard as the operating system. It includes a FTP server.

So now. You network your Xbox and your computer, connect to the Xbox with a ftp client.. and wall la.. you can now read the disc..

Which will bring up another issue? What format is the sound track in... You'd just have to find out.

Want an easier way? How about you just hook the red and white wire of the Outs on the xbox up to a RCA to mini stereo adapter. Plug this into your line in on your computer. Open your favorite sound recording application and set the recording to be on the line in.

Then play the sound track on the Xbox and hit record.

jangell said:
The only way I would know how to do this. Is probably a bit more then you'd want to do.

First off. You need to crack open your xbox and solder together two points. These enable you to write over the BIOS. Now the problem is the Xbox will not run unsigned code.. So THEN.

You will need the bond game for the xbox. in that you then load some code in the Load Game part, the code will cause a buffer underrun and then launch whatever you want.. In this case linux. From there you can overwrite the bios with a custom version which allows unsigned code to be ran. You then install a new dashboard, to replace the default xbox one.. Think of the dashboard as the operating system. It includes a FTP server.

So now. You network your Xbox and your computer, connect to the Xbox with a ftp client.. and wall la.. you can now read the disc..

Which will bring up another issue? What format is the sound track in... You'd just have to find out.

Want an easier way? How about you just hook the red and white wire of the Outs on the xbox up to a RCA to mini stereo adapter. Plug this into your line in on your computer. Open your favorite sound recording application and set the recording to be on the line in.

Then play the sound track on the Xbox and hit record.

Hmmmm, you must have some good electronics background. I was like :hairraise: on the 1st option. I gonna try number 2, since it might be easier. Now not to sound too simple, what is an RCA? :D . Thanks for your help.

kellyo said:
Hmmmm, you must have some good electronics background. I was like :hairraise: on the 1st option. I gonna try number 2, since it might be easier. Now not to sound too simple, what is an RCA? :D . Thanks for your help.

RCA = the jacks that have the plugs that plug into devices, usually red and white, or red, white and yellow. Real name is composite cable.
j-RCA(AV).jpg

Thanks for the visual aide Nick. One last question.

jangell said:
Plug this into your line in on your computer

Does this mean the microphone jack?

kellyo said:
Thanks for the visual aide Nick. One last question.

Does this mean the microphone jack?

When I do this kind of stuff, I have a converter that goes from RCA to the 1/4" jack that the computer uses, and either use the Line in or Mic port on the soundcard. Some of the higher end sound cards have RCA inputs on it. Unfortunately, mine's on board. They're cheap enough, Kellyo, but I think that's the only way to do it.

Also - I know that some playstation games use the Bing and Smacker video and audio tools for sound and video encoding. I seem to recall that THPS2 used this for both the PC and PS2 versions. You might be able to pull the data off the CD that way. Does the XBox use DVDs or CDs? If it uses DVDs and your computer has a CD-ROM, it won't work.

Xbox can take DVD, but I'm not real sure what other formats it takes. Xbox sells peripheral hardware for DVD use (remote and remote sensor). Would the CD format be indicated on one of the game boxes you think...I'll go look.

jangell said:
Depends on who you talk to. RCA designed it.

I dunno. Would you say that SPDIF is the correct name for Toslink Fiber Optic Audio? Or that YPbPr or HD Cables is the correct name for Component Video?

How about Kleenix for Tissue Paper? Coke for Soda? Technically, the real names are not brand specific. Splitting hairs, I know, but still.

skyhog said:
How about Kleenix for Tissue Paper? Coke for Soda? Technically, the real names are not brand specific. Splitting hairs, I know, but still.

Make sure to never say firewire then too.. ALWAYS say IEEE-1394

kello said:
Xbox can take DVD, but I'm not real sure what other formats it takes. Xbox sells peripheral hardware for DVD use (remote and remote sensor). Would the CD format be indicated on one of the game boxes you think...I'll go look.

You won't be able to read it in anything but the Xbox.. The actual disc is a standard DVD-9 (dual layer, single sided) but Microsoft uses a custom filesystem. It's not just ISO 9660 or anyhting like that.

The filesystem is called XDVDFS and as far as I know there is no software available to read it. So you pretty much have to go with option 2.

Last edited:
jangell said:
Make sure to never say firewire then too.. ALWAYS say IEEE-1394

Funny thing is, and this might make me a dork, but I do call it "Eye Triple E Thirteen Ninety Four" or "Thirteen Ninety Four." I'm not a mac user, so I never took to calling it Firewire.

But I'm with you - I do call composites "RCAs" and I call fiber optic and digital coax "SPDIF." I was just pointing out that they are technically called something else.

NickDBrennan said:
Funny thing is, and this might make me a dork, but I do call it "Eye Triple E Thirteen Ninety Four" or "Thirteen Ninety Four." I'm not a mac user, so I never took to calling it Firewire.

But I'm with you - I do call composites "RCAs" and I call fiber optic and digital coax "SPDIF." I was just pointing out that they are technically called something else.

Oh come on. Let's just all start calling it iLink and make Sony really happy. Since they haven't had anything takeoff .. in a long time.

Wooohooo!! It worked!! Thanks guys. I still got some issues with the volume, but I think it has to do with the software I'm using...gonna try another media recorder and see what happens.

Haha, another problem now. From the HD I ripped it to a CD, but when I play the CD it's sounds terrible with some portions cut out or distorted. My burner works cuz I burned a few other things after I made the Xbox CD. :dunno:

kellyo said:
Haha, another problem now. From the HD I ripped it to a CD, but when I play the CD it's sounds terrible with some portions cut out or distorted. My burner works cuz I burned a few other things after I made the Xbox CD. :dunno:

Does it sound good on the computer before you put i ton the cd.

And USE THE LINE IN, NOT MIC and I repeat USE THE LINE IN. It will sound distorted and like CRAP on the mic. Keep the volume levels fairly low usualy yields decent results.

NickDBrennan said:
I dunno. Would you say that SPDIF is the correct name for Toslink Fiber Optic Audio? Or that YPbPr or HD Cables is the correct name for Component Video?

This isn't a brand issue, rather the name depends on whether you are talking about the connectors or the signals carried by them.

Both names are "correct" depending on what you're naming. The plugs on the end of the cable are "RCA plugs" and the mating connectors on the equipment are "RCA jacks" (RCA being Radio Corporation of America). A common name is "Phono plug/jack" since they first appeared on the cables that connected consumer turtables to amplifiers.

The signal (specifically the video signal on the yellow cable) is correctly called "Composite Video" which means it is a combined color and luminance video signal. Of course this is a "generic name" and the actual geek/techie name is "RS-170A" (assuming that hasn't been replaced by another IEEE standard). The signals on the red and white are simply analog audio for which there's no official standard AFaIK.

RCA connector. Composite signal.

Just curious, did you go to the web site that created the game? Sometimes they have the soundtracks available to download for free. Other than that, you will have to play with your volume settings to get it set correctly. Might try burning it over to a CD-RW so you don't waist too many disk.

lancefisher said:
This isn't a brand issue, rather the name depends on whether you are talking about the connectors or the signals carried by them.

Both names are "correct" depending on what you're naming. The plugs on the end of the cable are "RCA plugs" and the mating connectors on the equipment are "RCA jacks" (RCA being Radio Corporation of America). A common name is "Phono plug/jack" since they first appeared on the cables that connected consumer turtables to amplifiers.

The signal (specifically the video signal on the yellow cable) is correctly called "Composite Video" which means it is a combined color and luminance video signal. Of course this is a "generic name" and the actual geek/techie name is "RS-170A" (assuming that hasn't been replaced by another IEEE standard). The signals on the red and white are simply analog audio for which there's no official standard AFaIK.

RCA connector. Composite signal.

I dunno, I have to disagree. The signal flowing over the yellow cable is definitely composite, but the cables themselves and the connectors are only called RCA because RCA is the most popular name for it. The cables are very much "composite cables." Its a small point that no one really cares about technically, but RCA jacks, RCA cables, and just "the RCAs" is not the proper name. It very much is a brand issue.

FWIW - the yellow carries "composite video," the white carries the left audio signal, and the red carries the right audio signal.

I can also liken this to calling IEEE 802.11 signal "Linksys Signal." No one calls it that, but since Linksys is a major router provider..... Or the old days, when people either called computers Apples or IBMs....when in fact, most of the "IBMs" were "IBM Compatible," not IBMs.

Also - for RS-170A, I've only ever seen that as a BNC connecter, not the typical "RCA" type jacks we have now. That could be my lack of experience there tho.
connector_rp-bnc.jpg

NickDBrennan said:
I can also liken this to calling IEEE 802.11 signal "Linksys Signal."

There is a major difference there.

And like Lance said, RCA is the connector.
The white and red are for the stereo sound.

The yellow is the composite video signal which is an analog signal with color information modulated on a subcarrier. You could use any connector for the composite video signal.

Opps, it was in the mic jack, but I can't find another port for audio...time to upgrade to another sound card I guess. I think my current one is intergrated into the motherboard. Sigh. I got a free PCI slot, is it possible to have 2 audio hardward pieces installed and only use one? Sorry, me and computers are like water and oil.

kellyo said:
Opps, it was in the mic jack, but I can't find another port for audio...time to upgrade to another sound card I guess. I think my current one is intergrated into the motherboard. Sigh. I got a free PCI slot, is it possible to have 2 audio hardward pieces installed and only use one? Sorry, me and computers are like water and oil.

Yup. You should be able to get another sound card pretty cheap. I'd recommend you get a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live. If you are interested in playing many games I've found it helps to go with the Creative Labs Audigy series as it has better directsound performance. It really wouldn't matter a whole lot though and either one will be much better then your onboard sound. Edit: Anything that says it's based on the emu10k1 chipset is good stuff too.

Once you install the sound card in your Control Panel there will be an option for the sound setup. In there you can set which device it will use for playback and record. Force it to use your new sound card.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
I dunno, I have to disagree. The signal flowing over the yellow cable is definitely composite, but the cables themselves and the connectors are only called RCA because RCA is the most popular name for it. The cables are very much "composite cables." Its a small point that no one really cares about technically, but RCA jacks, RCA cables, and just "the RCAs" is not the proper name. It very much is a brand issue.

FWIW - the yellow carries "composite video," the white carries the left audio signal, and the red carries the right audio signal.

I can also liken this to calling IEEE 802.11 signal "Linksys Signal." No one calls it that, but since Linksys is a major router provider..... Or the old days, when people either called computers Apples or IBMs....when in fact, most of the "IBMs" were "IBM Compatible," not IBMs.

Also - for RS-170A, I've only ever seen that as a BNC connecter, not the typical "RCA" type jacks we have now. That could be my lack of experience there tho.

Right there you have another example of the same thing. You wouldn't call a RS-170A signal a "BNC" signal because BNC's are used for all sorts of signals including composite video and component video (most commercial video equipment uses/used BNC's for composite). And yes I can still remember the red is right etc.

In the case of IEEE-1394 there is a specification by that name that describes not only the connector, but the electrical properties of the cable as well as the format and content of the signals carried in them along with a lot of other technical stuff. While nothing prevents someone from using these same cables and connectors for other purposes, there is a definite tie in by a world recognized standards group between the name, the connector, and the cables.

This is not the case for anything carried on coax cables with RCA phono plugs on the ends. Heck, I've seen devices that were powered through RCA connectors, inputed and/or outputted RF through them, and even sent digital data through them.

The RCA connector is a defacto standard that's been around for a lot longer than composite video signals travelled between consumer A/V devices. AFaIK it was adopted for that purpose simply because it was already in use on the audio only consumer gear.

While not a true reference, these links give a definition of an RCA (AKA Phono) connector:

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/dictionary.asp?dictionaryid=362&term=RCA_Connector
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci786116,00.html

Check any electronics parts catalog and they will probably have multiple listings for RCA jacks and plugs. No mention of composite video is likely included.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/RCA-connector/p/2000000003844/3000000157652/sm/8802000102.htm

That said, this is getting to be a rather pointless debate. I only jumped in because you incorrectly (IMO) contradicted something in Jesse's post on the subject and I thought I'd set the record straight.

FWIW you have my complete permission :yes: to use the phrase "composite cable" to describe any cable carrying a composite video signal if you so desire.:D

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
Right there you have another example of the same thing. You wouldn't call a RS-170A signal a "BNC" signal because BNC's are used for all sorts of signals including composite video and component video (most commercial video equipment uses/used BNC's for composite). And yes I can still remember the red is right etc.

In the case of IEEE-1394 there is a specification by that name that describes not only the connector, but the electrical properties of the cable as well as the format and content of the signals carried in them along with a lot of other technical stuff. While nothing prevents someone from using these same cables and connectors for other purposes, there is a definite tie in by a world recognized standards group between the name, the connector, and the cables.

This is not the case for anything carried on coax cables with RCA phono plugs on the ends. Heck, I've seen devices that were powered through RCA connectors, inputed and/or outputted RF through them, and even sent digital data through them.

The RCA connector is a defacto standard that's been around for a lot longer than composite video signals travelled between consumer A/V devices. AFaIK it was adopted for that purpose simply because it was already in use on the audio only consumer gear.

While not a true reference, these links give a definition of an RCA (AKA Phono) connector:

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/dictionary.asp?dictionaryid=362&term=RCA_Connector
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci786116,00.html

Check any electronics parts catalog and they will probably have multiple listings for RCA jacks and plugs. No mention of composite video is likely included.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/RCA-connector/p/2000000003844/3000000157652/sm/8802000102.htm

That said, this is getting to be a rather pointless debate. I only jumped in because you incorrectly (IMO) contradicted something in Jesse's post on the subject and I thought I'd set the record straight.

FWIW you have my complete permission :yes: to use the phrase "composite cable" to describe any cable carrying a composite video signal if you so desire.:D

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. You're right, this is a pointless debate, because when the chips are down, I call them RCA like anyone else does.

But - the Component Video cables used in YPbPr connections just happen to have the same type of connectors on the end, at least in most applications. Would those be RCA cables also?

I've never heard them called that.

NickDBrennan said:
I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. You're right, this is a pointless debate, because when the chips are down, I call them RCA like anyone else does.

But - the Component Video cables used in YPbPr connections just happen to have the same type of connectors on the end, at least in most applications. Would those be RCA cables also?

I've never heard them called that.

Actually..Take a look at the following
compnent vidoe cables -- a guide said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica]First, it's important to point out that there is no such thing as a "component video connector." Component video can be run through any of a variety of connector types, and it's still component video. [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]RCA, BNC and other connectors are commonly used, and these connector types can be used for other types of video as well, so it's a good idea not to mix connector types and signal types when speaking of component video cables.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

Source: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/123129.html

[/font]Another site mentions them as a RCA connector.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/ComponentVideoCables_5.php

Actually there are hundreds when I googled it.

But yeah.. This is pointless.. Though I've seen some more pointless stuff on another board.. :)

Last edited:
Back