PBOR 2 and medical reform imminent now?

Unless the measure is actually passing bills. The House has passed 279. the Senate 59. [there were also 17 resolutions which include post office naming things).

But yeah, they're pretty dysfunctional.

There you go letting facts get in the way again :oops:

Did he give their reasoning?
It turns out that I misquoted him. He actually said that all the MD pilots in his city, not AMEs specifically, would decline to sign. He didn't say what reasons they gave, but he mentioned lawsuits as a factor.

Not sure it is partisan bickering. By any measure, this House is the most dysfunctional. They can't pass any legislation other than naming post offices.

These are strange times in DC, the reality of such is that the People's business (see PBOR2) are held hostage.
If you and others can't resist turning the thread into a political bitchfest, this otherwise interesting thread will be closed... And we will know why.

It turns out that I misquoted him. He actually said that all the MD pilots in his city, not AMEs specifically, would decline to sign. He didn't say what reasons they gave, but he mentioned lawsuits as a factor.

I can see a GP's malpractice carrier wanting no part of it.

It's not a general statement. There's a simple checklist the doctor follows that's basically just a physical and he gives you the rundown on your medications and how you should handle them and flying (vs. simply grounding you for being on ADHD meds when you were 12).
Brian Flynn quoted the exact text. The last sentence is the one that is concerning. As I said, as long as it is understood that it is only about having followed the checklist, and that the doctor is affirming that no potentially endangering condition was uncovered during the exam, then I don't see the problem. But "am not aware" could be construed to impose a higher standard on the doctor, if not in reality, then in the physician's mind. In our litigious society, who could blame him?

Believe me, I hope this goes through and I hope it is easier than Dr. Bruce thinks to find a doctor to sign off on the form. I have had a couple of SIs requiring medically unnecessary (and therefore expensive) tests for the last two years and am likely to have another one this year (currently grounded, in fact), none of which would require FAA oversight under PBOR2. I suspect a lot of older pilots in my position have given up on the process, as would I have most likely, if I didn't own an airplane.

I have had a couple of SIs requiring medically unnecessary (and therefore expensive) tests for the last two years and am likely to have another one this year (currently grounded, in fact), none of which would require FAA oversight under PBOR2. I suspect a lot of older pilots in my position have given up on the process, as would I have most likely, if I didn't own an airplane.

Exactly my situation, I'm tired of giving suitcases of money to the medical establishment for these medically unnecessary FAA mandated tests. I'm just tired of the whole game, it is mentally and monetarily exhausting. The only reason I haven't sold my share in the plane is the hope of PBOR2, even though my patience for this is wearing thin as well. I'll give it until the fall, then it's sell and not look back. I can take the family on some damned nice vacations with the proceeds.

On the AOPA Forum, Bruce said that all the AMEs he talked to in his area have said they would not sign such a form.

[Edit] :oops: My attempt at paraphrasing was inaccurate, so I'll just quote verbatim:

It has been effectively made into a 4th class medical. In my city, all the MD pilots have already said "no way are they going to sign that".

That leaves the AME as the only place left. And the liability then goes to him. The worst part is, I know what the standards are. And if I can get someone to meet them, they are going to make a third class anyway, I rather just "send it in and get approval". sigh.

As for Mr. Oslick, the Fullerton Calif. docs will do that until the first one has HUGE payout, and then the party's over. It would be very simple for me, as an expert witness, to demolish such a guy. Easier still for the plaintiff's attorney. I have watch it done, and it ain't pretty.

This sausage making factory we call congress is soooo very messed up.
Thanks, I hadn't yet seen that post by Bruce. I'm not so sure there will be a huge payout, it all depends on how the courts interpret the text of the bill, or more exactly the regulations the FAA cooks up in response. But I'll defer to the attorneys here on that point, as maybe there already have been precedents set based on analogous wording in other contexts.

Is there anything in it that requires periodic Vision testing? I haven't read it, everything I know, or think I know about it comes from here and other forums like this one. What It seems to boil down to is, if you can get a Drivers License you are good to go. This I don't think I like to much. Case in point. My mother is 87 years old. Her drivers license was recently renewed, by mail, for 5 years. Not so much as a "read the top line" or a hand being held up with a "how many fingers." Is there anything in that ensures one will have a reasonable chance of SEEING and avoiding? EDIT: I read it. It's not as simple as just having a drivers license

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time thinking that the same Docs that'll sign off on thousands and thousands of "medical" marijuana cards -- just as one example -- aren't going to be more than willing to sign any other document for a price.

I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying, there's always a broke Doctor with alimony bills to pay, somewhere.

I doubt Bruce's Rolodex was heavy with such fine practitioners of medicine when he did his unofficial survey. Not exactly the crowd he hangs around, I bet.

That industry isn't exactly cleaning house of those folk either.

A malpractice suit against a bottom feeder who's already bankrupt and took $100 in cash on top of whatever they sent the insurance company billing department, is a losing game, and the attorneys know it.

Unless the measure is actually passing bills. The House has passed 279. the Senate 59. [there were also 17 resolutions which include post office naming things).

But yeah, they're pretty dysfunctional.
I think that the dysfunctionality has to do with passing bills that are not in Article I, Section 8. They whole system is set up to make it hard to do things.

I'm having a hard time thinking that the same Docs that'll sign off on thousands and thousands of "medical" marijuana cards -- just as one example -- aren't going to be more than willing to sign any other document for a price.

I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying, there's always a broke Doctor with alimony bills to pay, somewhere.

I doubt Bruce's Rolodex was heavy with such fine practitioners of medicine when he did his unofficial survey. Not exactly the crowd he hangs around, I bet.

That industry isn't exactly cleaning house of those folk either.

A malpractice suit against a bottom feeder who's already bankrupt and took $100 in cash on top of whatever they sent the insurance company billing department, is a losing game, and the attorneys know it.
With WA making that legal, there goes one set of doctors that I can't go to anymore...

Back