PayPal users, watch your credit card statements

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
My credit card company just called to tell me that a merchant reported the theft of their credit card database (or part of it). I am 90% certain (i.e., not positive) that the merchant involved is PayPal. My card has been cancelled and is being replaced.

So.. heads up!

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
My credit card company just called to tell me that a merchant reported the theft of their credit card database (or part of it). I am 90% certain (i.e., not positive) that the merchant involved is PayPal. My card has been cancelled and is being replaced.

So.. heads up!

-Skip
That will be MAJOR news if it's really PayPal. It would be the end of PayPal.

The handful of times I use paypal, I load the credit card information up, make the payment as needed, once the transaction is all done, I remove the card from their site. The transaction goes through and while it's not a foolproof system, no credit card information being listed sure isn't going to make the thieves job any easier. It's an extra 30 seconds of effort which is dribble compared to the alternative.

fgcason said:
The handful of times I use paypal, I load the credit card information up, make the payment as needed, once the transaction is all done, I remove the card from their site. The transaction goes through and while it's not a foolproof system, no credit card information being listed sure isn't going to make the thieves job any easier. It's an extra 30 seconds of effort which is dribble compared to the alternative.

I did that with my bank account info as they are known to take money if a buyer complains and not talk to you about it. I only left an old checking account that my paycheck doesn't go to.

There's no guarantee that they don't have your "deleted" info still on file. You ever dig around Amazon and see everything you ever bought or looked at?

My Citi credit card has disposable credit card numbers. I gotta remember to use those.

The irony is just today I got an email:

Subject: New: Tips, ID Theft Q&A, and more[/b[

Dave Steer,PayPal ConsumerSafety

This month, we talked to Dave Steer to find out how to stay safe online.

Q: What should I do if I think my identity has been stolen?
Close any compromised account, contact your bank or credit card company, as well as your local law enforcement. Also contact the three major credit bureaus – Equifax, Experian and TransUnion – and ask them to place a fraud alert on your account.

Q: What should I do to protect myself?
Monitor your accounts frequently and...

...don't use PayPal. :rolleyes:

Back