PayPal Question

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Not really a tech question but involves "online" payments through Pay Pal. What protection does PayPal give the seller? I'm concerned about selling a large ticket item online and buyer wants to pay through PayPal.

PayPal's site talks about buyer protection saying if the item is not received or is not as described they will refund buyers money including shipping. I assume that comes out of the money that the buyer is to pay seller with.

What is to prevent the buyer from claiming the item is a POS and getting a refund and keeping the item? Is there any seller protection?

Not really a tech question but involves "online" payments through Pay Pal. What protection does PayPal give the seller? I'm concerned about selling a large ticket item online and buyer wants to pay through PayPal.

PayPal's site talks about buyer protection saying if the item is not received or is not as described they will refund buyers money including shipping. I assume that comes out of the money that the buyer is to pay seller with.

What is to prevent the buyer from claiming the item is a POS and getting a refund and keeping the item? Is there any seller protection?

basically very little...they are a scumbag outfit and will hold your money ransom following the sale claiming that you don't have enough sales history typically 90-120 days all to the benefit of their float account....At one point I put nearly 100,000 through their accounts and they are always trying to see what they can get away with.....they are a garbage dump

Last edited:
I've had good experiences, my DZ friends have had good experiences buying and selling rigs, canopys and whatnot with paypal, I have a paypal debit card which works as a proxy between my real debit card and the merchants, even get cash back.

Been quite happy with PayPal.

I sell hundreds of battery chargers (my signature,) using Paypal. No problems for 15 years.

I've had good experiences, my DZ friends have had good experiences buying and selling rigs, canopys and whatnot with paypal, I have a paypal debit card which works as a proxy between my real debit card and the merchants, even get cash back.

Been quite happy with PayPal.

I think you can have a good experience with most systems if you have good and honest sellers and buyers. My concern is if you have a not so honest buyer. The question is really about protecting the seller.

Well...well.....well.....

Now you know why I am not anymore and never will be a PayPal member. I was swindled, I had photographic evidence, shipping receipts, actual shipping weight, item condition photos. Guy claims I shipped him a cinder block. I told him box up the block and get it officially weighed at UPS and it better match my shipping weight receipt. He refused of course.

Not only did PayPal side with him, since I had pulled out the money PayPal sent me to collections with no warning at all to the tune of $1k

**** PayPal. Never, ever again. They don't follow any established banking rules and are in my opinion, nothing more than a facilitation of money laundering scam with a legitimate cover.

Let me say it again......**** PAYPAL:mad:

And to answer your question about seller protection....... See below:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah you are always screwedHahahahahahahahahah

Clear enough?

I've had great experiences with Paypal. But you should know that they are owned by e-bay. So it pays(literally) for them to side with the buyer.

I actually prefer using Paypal over my bank.

I've never had a problem with PayPal. I've used it for buying and selling. But I'm probably just lucky so far.

Now you know why I am not anymore and never will be a PayPal member. I was swindled, I had photographic evidence, shipping receipts, actual shipping weight, item condition photos. Guy claims I shipped him a cinder block. I told him box up the block and get it officially weighed at UPS and it better match my shipping weight receipt. He refused of course.

Not only did PayPal side with him, since I had pulled out the money PayPal sent me to collections with no warning at all to the tune of $1k

**** PayPal. Never, ever again. They don't follow any established banking rules and are in my opinion, nothing more than a facilitation of money laundering scam with a legitimate cover.

Wow, I had the reverse. I sold a guy a camera, he "returned" it claiming it was defective, and sent me a rock instead. I filed a police report but never got my money back from Paypal as they refunded him and refused to reverse the refund. I was out the value of the camera.

I bought a guitar online and the seller totally misrepresented it. As a buyer, it was a hassle (at least a little) to get my refund. Eventually, they told me to keep the guitar and refunded me. However, they also funded the seller. I think for online transactions, Paypal is probably the best way to go about it in my opinion. I have sold about a dozen items including guitars through Ebay (paypal). Never had a problem getting paid, however, it does take a few days and never had a buyer complain about what I sold....good luck Adam.

Many scammers work the files of Pay-Pal. when you do business, you will get a e-mail requesting you check the given link and log in.

It ain't Pay-Pal. they harvest your log in, and remove any cash you have in Pay-Pal.

Wow... you guys have had some terrible buyers. I've done about 16 transactions through PP and have never had an issue I've had to resolve through the company. It seems that if I'm selling a product and the buyer comes off as sketchy, PP is not the way to go.

If not PP then how do you sell items via eBay or Craigslist ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to just shrug when people say that PayPal is a "scumbag outfit" because a dispute was not resolved in their favor. I've never heard of any payment processor or card issuer resolving any complaint in a merchant's favor. It just doesn't happen. At least it hasn't happened in the experience of any merchant I know. If a customer files a dispute, the merchant is screwed. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong. Unless it's obvious fraud (and often even when it is), the merchant loses. Period.

As a consumer, the few disputes I've filed with credit card issuers were always resolved in my favor, even when the bases for my complaints were weak, vague, and impossible to objectively prove (for example, being dissatisfied with some online service I'd purchased). It's just SOP for processors and card issuers to resolve all disputes in favor of buyers.

That's why I don't accept PayPal or credit cards for high-value items or services unless they're repossessable or "shut-offable" (for example, Web services or the like that can be switched off). For buying or selling high-value items I always use an escrow service.

I've used escrow.com with no complaints. Some credit unions and banks will also act as escrow agents.

That being said, I've been using PayPal for about 15 years and have never had a problem as a seller. I think they're a good processor -- as processors go. But I would never use it for high-value transactions with strangers. For that, there's escrow.

Rich

Last edited:
I have been using paypal for almost 10 years now. Over the years they have changed a lot. I have sold hundreds of things using paypal as a forum of payment.

One man tried to scam me. I sent him a brand new RC truck at the cost of 600 bucks. He contacted Paypal claiming I sold him a piece of junk. We went to court. Paypal hired the Attorney and handled everything. I was out flying the day we went to court. I come back and find I won the suit.

Jump forward about 2 months. I get an E-mail from this person. He contacted his credit card company and had them refund his 600 bucks. He then sent me back my RC truck. I got paid 600 bucks for the truck then I got the truck back. The day it arrived my son asked if I would sell it again. I told him no, for I already sold it. he asked what was I going to do with it. I told him. I would give it to him and handed it to him. How could I sell something twice. Did not seem moral to me. This was one sweet truck. Had automatic dump bed on it and a bunch of other things. It took a 12 channel radio to operate this truck it had so many options on it. It even came with the radio.

But over the years paypal has changed a lot. I read every update to thier user agreement. The do lean more towards the purchaser today then years past. But I still use paypal.

I tell anyone who is acting like they are going to be shady or coming off that way. I tell them its only a short plane ride to thier house.

I have sold Cars, trucks, airplanes and everything in between using paypal.

Yes, this!!
Pay-Pal sounds good until you need them to actually DO what they claim they will. We fired Pay-Pal a long time ago.

If the buyer is dishonest, PayPal is not your friend.

I have never had any problems with PayPal. I've sold motorcycles, dirtbikes, and horses with zero issues. The one and only time I had problems is when I first used it a guy asked me to send money as "Gift" to avoid fees. I never got my gauges and PayPal was unable to help. Also in my experience they give sellers multiple ways to resolve issues. Also whenever I have had a dispute an actual person investigates it they want everything emails, shipping info, pictures. I bought a used bg 750cfm carb with PayPal however when it showed up it was an 850cfm. I could only prove it with part numbers and measurements. I was very happy with the amount of research and time they put into investigating. In the end I shipped the carb back at my expense and received a full refund for the difference. So if anything I as the buyer was screwed not the seller.

basically very little...they are a scumbag outfit and will hold your money ransom following the sale claiming that you don't have enough sales history typically 90-120 days all to the benefit of their float account....At one point I put nearly 100,000 through their accounts and they are always trying to see what they can get away with.....they are a garbage dump

My experiences have been along these lines. I've been selling on Ebay for a very long time. Paypal does hold on to your money until you have enough selling experience and that sucks, but I understand why they do it. It prevents Sellers from pulling the old "dump and dash".

I do have to agree, though, that they protect the Buyer at the Seller's expense, no matter WHAT evidence you have to prove that you're legitimate. I sold a musical instrument to a person who decided that it did not fit the description in the Ebay ad and when he returned it, it arrived broken. I complained and presented evidence in the form of pics of the broken instrument and I pointed out that the horn was returned because of the description and NOT because it was broken, but Paypal sided with him and I was out of maybe $300. That was my last experience with Paypal. I now accept credit card payments and roll the fees into my asking price. They're not evil, but they are willfully negligent.

Last edited:
I used PayPal for a couple of items sold through eBay. No problems. However, I don't like their fees or the policy of holding money so I started using Square Cash.

https://cash.me/

My experiences have been along these lines. I've been selling on Ebay for a very long time. Paypal does hold on to your money until you have enough selling experience and that sucks, but I understand why they do it. It prevents Sellers from pulling the old "dump and dash".

I do have to agree, though, that they protect the Buyer at the Seller's expense, no matter WHAT evidence you have to prove that you're legitimate. I sold a musical instrument to a person who decided that it did not fit the description in the Ebay ad and when he returned it, it arrived broken. I complained and presented evidence in the form of pics of the broken instrument and I pointed out that the horn was returned because of the description and NOT because it was broken, but Paypal sided with him and I was out of maybe $300. That was my last experience with Paypal. I now accept credit card payments and roll the fees into my asking price. They're not evil, but they are willfully negligent.

Do you think credit card companies are any better in that regard? They'll charge back your account in a heartbeat when a buyer whines.

Rich

I think you can have a good experience with most systems if you have good and honest sellers and buyers. My concern is if you have a not so honest buyer. The question is really about protecting the seller.
Make sure you get tracking and have the seller sign for the package.

Do you think credit card companies are any better in that regard? They'll charge back your account in a heartbeat when a buyer whines.

Rich

No, it just happens to be my only option at the moment. I know, credit card companies can be as bad, but unlike Paypal, they actually investigate the transaction. Paypal just sides with the Buyer, no matter what the evidence in my experience.

Back