Paying someone to find a plane

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
Can it be done reasonably ?
Anyone have experience with it?

I ask cause I don't like buying and selling things and assuming in the next year and a half I'll be in the position to afford buying my own. Just trolling through trade-a-plane and controller I'll find something that looks interesting but then the thought of chasing them down, checking logs, setting up a prebuy travelling to a few states, making offers etc just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Could I pay someone to do all that for me? Just be like 80k budget 140+knots don't care about glass cockpit but want a big screened gps (no 430) and 1000 hours left on tbo and have him bring me options I pick the top 3 or so and he digs into those and we go from there?

Good idea? too much money? I haven't looked into it at all just a thought that came to me while daydreaming on tradeaplane.

Can it be done reasonably ?
Anyone have experience with it?

I ask cause I don't like buying and selling things and assuming in the next year and a half I'll be in the position to afford buying my own. Just trolling through trade-a-plane and controller I'll find something that looks interesting but then the thought of chasing them down, checking logs, setting up a prebuy travelling to a few states, making offers etc just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Could I pay someone to do all that for me? Just be like 80k budget 140+knots don't care about glass cockpit but want a big screened gps (no 430) and 1000 hours left on tbo and have him bring me options I pick the top 3 or so and he digs into those and we go from there?

Good idea? too much money? I haven't looked into it at all just a thought that came to me while daydreaming on tradeaplane.

I'll do it!

Not a bad business idea either... if you're serious, PM me!

Ever heard of an aircraft broker? That's what they do. My grandfather used to be one and I can say for sure that middle man is someone most of us need. Those guys can tell you more about any airplane on the drop of a hat than the average buyer can after days of research. I highly recommend one; they have ways beyond controller.com of finding and negotiating deals so what you spend on their fee, you might save on your new airplane. Just find a reputable one.

There are plenty of brokers out there. You just have to find a good one. Give them the specifications for the airplane you want. They do the work you benefit from their knowledge,without the headaches.

Plenty of folks do it. I've even been known to. It can be useful to have someone who's dealt with aircraft purchases before to guide you through the process.

Hah wow can't believe broker didn't cross my mind. So I just did a cursory google search but how did you find a broker? Most stuff seems to be business jet stuff and local searching just yielded random sites from the 90s with give us a call numbers.

Also does buying run cheaper than selling? Seems like it would but I've jsut seen selling percentages running from 3-10%

I heard of a guy selling a nice 310 with some glass for chicken feed.:D

Best thing is to know someone or get recommendations. Depending on what you're looking for, specialty shops will also sometimes know of one's for sale.

Sure, but I'd wager you don't get a very good deal.

If you want a Piper, John Bartelt is the man.

If you are still looking for a broker, pm me. I have some of the best rates around and I also do the pre buy inspection for free with my service( I am an a&p).

Charlie

Wow, and what does that get me as a seller?
If you are the seller, you should only be paying a broker if they are handling your sale. If the broker approaches you with a buyer in hand, you shouldn't be paying him a thing.

Wow, and what does that get me as a seller?

Ill handle all of the inquiries about your aircraft, ill come out to your aircraft take high quality pictures and video, post ads on multiple different websites including my own, as an a&p ill look out for your best interests when it comes to the pre buy inspection and shop that the potential buyer wants to use.

If you are interested I can email you a copy of the listing agreement that I use.

Charlie

If you are the seller, you should only be paying a broker if they are handling your sale. If the broker approaches you with a buyer in hand, you shouldn't be paying him a thing.

That is exactly right and that broker would be working for the buyer in that case.

Ive never really understood a broker (on buyer's behalf) charging a rate which was a percentage of the final price. This only creates a disincentive for the broker to negotiate a good deal.

That does happen in this industry. But here is the thing about that what is the biggest form advertising good or bad? Word of mouth. You treat people the way that you want to be treated and they will be lifetime customers and they will tell their friends where to do business, do them wrong to make a few more bucks and word gets around and your business goes under. Aviation in general is a very small community and word travels fast. Get into specialty items like jets or warbirds and it gets even smaller.

I used a guy that was recommended to me, he did this part time, he's in the air force, he didn't charge by the price of the plane, strictly per hour, so it's in your best interest to know what you want, he also gave me my transition training.
Worked out well.

A friend of mine used one to find a twin bonanza. I guess it came out to roughtly 4% of the purchase price. The guy did a lot of detective work and sent tons of pics. Asked a lot of the sticky questions. The sale was pretty smooth and the plane was nice. Just depends if you have the time and knowledge to do it yourself. Gotta make sure you get a reputable broker, though.

Back