Paying for flight instruction insurance

rpayne88

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rpayne88
I have two friends that are CFIs. One owns an R177 Cardinal. The other owns a Citabria. I'd like to ask them if they would be willing to teach me. The only issue is: thier insurance does not cover primary flight instruction.

So, I had an idea. What if I paid the difference between thier current insurance and the insurance needed for instruction. Neither of them plan to charge me for thier services. Would I be able to save money by paying for thier insurance, thereby making it possible for them to instruct other students as well?

If you're just paying for insurance difference and fuel, should probably save money on the 177, the taildragger might surprise you at how much they may charge for a commercial policy for flight training, especially if your buddy doesn't have much tailwheel experience himself.

Call up AVEMCO and AirPower insurance and find out.

If you're just paying for insurance difference and fuel, should probably save money on the 177, the taildragger might surprise you at how much they may charge for a commercial policy for flight training, especially if your buddy doesn't have much tailwheel experience himself.

Call up AVEMCO and AirPower insurance and find out.
He already offers tailwheel transition training for private pilots. I'm looking to do my primary training in it. It seems like it would be good to develop excellent stick and rudder skills while still a student pilot. Other aircraft such as 172's almost fly themselves.

Agreed, I've trained tons of folks from the ground up in 7ECAs, if he's got a good chunk of tailwheel time and a decent amount of dual given in taildraggers thatll help, still insuring a tailwheel for instruction can be spendy.

It might be cheaper just to add yourself as a pilot on the policy, and then you could be trained on it.

AVEMCO advertises an insurance plan for CFI's that own their own plane. Not sure how much more it is than regular insurance, but that might do what you want. Also, the plane is going to need 100 hour maintenance signoffs.

I do instruction in my 7ECA. Like your friend I only do "dual instruction only, private pilot of better". That is the way the rider on my "business and pleasure" insurance policy reads. The rider increases my annual premiums by under $400.00,
If I were to do primary instruction and allow the student to solo my plane I would be looking at somewhere upwards of $3K/year(that was a quote from several years ago, no idea what it would cost now).
Another factor for me is I do tailwheel checkouts, spin and unusual attitude training because I enjoy it. Primary instruction, not so much.

Back