Paying for Checkride retake?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Would I have to pay to retake a check ride if I were to fail the first ride, or do you pay the initial fee and thats it? I know if you fail you get a pink slip, but what about a retake?

Generally you get to enjoy the pleasure of paying for each ride. Some DPEs charge less for the ride(s) after the first bust, some do not.

BTW, I see Post 1. Welcome aboard!

Hoping to not get to enjoy that pleasure… But thanks man!

Depends on the DE but many give you a break on the retest especially if you passed the oral. I had one discontinuance on my PPME ride because the weather wouldn't allow for us to do all the landings, but she didn't charge me for the 20 minutes the next day.

Depends on the DE but many give you a break on the retest especially if you passed the oral. I had one discontinuance on my PPME ride because the weather wouldn't allow for us to do all the landings, but she didn't charge me for the 20 minutes the next day.

From what I understand, a discontinuance is different from a failure though. They can't charge you more if you never had a chance to finish the first one!

Understand that DPEs are limited to two check rides per day (unless they get special disposition from their POI for extenuating circumstances) and a re-test counts a some of the two rides. So if you're causing an opportunity cost for them, expect to pay again. They won't charges for acts of God (such as sickness or weather, but often loosely extends to mechanical issues or an otherwise unavailable aircraft). As others mentioned, a retest fee may be less than the original fee. Some may charge nothing at all. Be sure to ask the DPE before scheduling so there are no surprises.

Would I have to pay to retake a check ride if I were to fail the first ride, or do you pay the initial fee and thats it? I know if you fail you get a pink slip, but what about a retake?[/

Yes if you fail you will have to pay again for a retake.

Totally depends on the DPE. The one I took my sport checkride with made you pay if he came out any more times for any reason at a rate of $75/hr, I think. The examiner I took my private ride with charged less and did any retesting for any reason at no additional charge.

Would I have to pay to retake a check ride if I were to fail the first ride, or do you pay the initial fee and thats it? I know if you fail you get a pink slip, but what about a retake?

You get credit for the things passed on the initial ride, so, unless you blow it in the first 15 minutes, most charge a reduced fee for the second ride. I've seen $300 for the initial, then $100 or $200 for the follow-up depending on how far into the ride they'd gotten the first time.

I paid a reduced fee for the re-ride for my IR. The best deal is to pass the first time. :D

From what I understand, a discontinuance is different from a failure though. They can't charge you more if you never had a chance to finish the first one!
There is no FAA rule saying that. The DPE can charge for his/her time whatever s/he likes. That said, most DPE's I know charge around half or so for a retake or continuance within 60 days.

Half for the retake was the standard for DPE's in the bay area, at least the ones I used for students.

After considering what a good CFI CFII goes thru to get his tickets, build time and sit beside someone he or she knows not of, I decided along time ago that they deserved what they charged and maybe-probably were underpaid. If I had to retake part of something they felt I was not up to speed on I would and have done it over and paid without question. My last bi annual, last year, in a Citabria 150 , found me too slow on one landing pattern, an airplane I had not flown for 8 years. He made me come back next day for another hour and I nailed the landings very well including the usual "engine out" in the pattern simulation. Worth every penny to me. Personally I could never instruct and give great credit to those who can and are really good with the airplane they are in. This fellow who helped me is a retired school principal, ex Vietnam marine artillery grunt, superb taildragger pilot. Very bright and VERY good teacher. I look forward to flying with him.

Thanks for the insight everyone. Sure hope I don't have to pay for a retake, but excited for the ride.

I busted my 1st PPL ride, and opted to continue. That produced a deathly stare from DPE, almost like I just stabbed his mother in front of him. Clearly he did not want to fly that day.

Long story short, I paid $50 for retake, and he only asked for 1 maneuver to be shown.

Depends on the DPE. Mine doesn't charge for re-takes at all. Maybe if you don't make it through the oral, but I'm not sure. Definitely not if you make it through the oral.

Back