Pay or upgrade time?

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
I've been looking at different regionals lately and I've noticed there seems to be quite a large pay gap between companies. It made me wonder what's more important in the beginning, higher pay or faster upgrade time? Obviously both would be nice but not really seeing that

What would you consider a long upgrade time? Six months? Two years? 19 years?
If you're seeing good pay but longer upgrade times, that's telling me that folks are generally satisfied with working there. The other scenario tells me that guys don't stick around much. If you're looking to get the PIC time in order to move on to something better then go with the quick upgrade, otherwise go for the cash.

at the regional level upgrade = money. captain pay is a big jump at the regional level. quick upgrade, as pointed out, usually means bad management and bad working conditions. but the FFD airlines that are not owned are one day away from loosing a feed contract and furloughs. The big thing is that all regionals suck. The most important thing to me was having a job six months from now, getting cut and having to start over with a lateral move is not fun. I have often said, the only day that you will know if you made the right decisions in the airline industry is the day you retire. when I got hired in 99, the airline i went with was the toughest to get hired at. but they were buying aircraft and where headed to a two year upgrade and four or five years to a flow through. seventeen years later i flowed to the majors. but, i never got furloughed, and the checks never bounced and for most of it I never had to commute. It worked for me. I could have gone with a different airline and upgraded quicker, and gotten to a major quicker, but it worked for me.

bob

If it were me, shorter upgrade time means more $$ and a captain upgrade means PIC time toward the majors. If you can float yourself on a lower wage for the time being, I'd go with the faster upgrades.

Some of the majors arnt even asking that much more of a jump up, think united is 2500TT ATP and 1000 fixed wing turbine, frankly I'd wait it out for a while, get a nice paying 91 or 135 job and let the bastards squirm for a year or two more.

Back