Pay it forward

over the years you encounter a lot of things in life, most things that you think are super important at the time, you don't even remember now. however, I distinctly remember the following true story vividly, it was 20 years back.

right out of collage, I joined another thing for a diploma, I had just finished a PG diploma in e-Commerce and dot com bubble had shattered my dreams. I remember there were 4 of us, I do not remember the names of 2 of the guys in our group, though I remember who they were, just not their names. we went into a bakery shop to grab something to eat. My family was never poor, but somehow I never had too much money at my disposal (and I thank my family for it, made me appreciate when I started to earn on my own), we were talking about the various types of cake and pastries we wanted to eat, but most of them were out of our budget. we pulled our resources and order 3 pastries for 4 of us, that would leave us nothing in our pocket and we decided to walk back home (long walk) so that we can order most of what we wanted to order. we ordered, ate asked for the check. We were told, it was paid for and was handed over a note from someone which read "we were your age 40 years back, we were broke just like you, but we stuck together, pulled our resources and made it work."

there was an elderly couple sitting a couple of table away from us. we barely noticed them, we were too engulfed in our own discussion and trying to figure out what we can afford.

To this day, I cant remember the face of those couple, because I didn't pay any attention to who were there around me, but I will never forget the gesture. they didn't have to do what they did, I don't know if they are alive or not, but they are in my memories and will always be.

Back