Pay for PPL by working

Timo1094

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
timo1094
How many of you got your PPL by working for it instead of paying for it? I know my cousin got his by working for the FBO part time.

I didn't get my private that way but I paid for my initial commercial rating and multi add on as well as a lot of gas by working around the airport.

It's a good deal if you can find someone who will work with you. If you do things that way and pay attention you'll likely be more knowledgable about airports and how they operate than a lot of the pilots out there.

I worked for mine, but not at the airport. It was other summer jobs in high school and right before college.

A family friend got his by working for a CFI who had a hangar building business. Instead of getting paid in money, he got paid in flight lessons.

Isn't work, work? Get paid in flight time, or get paid in cash and spend it on flight time... No difference.

Yeah, I got my PPL while in college. Was lucky enough to have tuition, room, and food paid for by a scholarship, and it turned out the pay for working an overnight ambulance shift was almost exactly the cost of an hour of training in the local CFI's Grumman AA1B (and then, when that finally died, Tomahawk). I tried to work a shift or two per week (more in the summer) and flew an hour or two per week. I started this scheme late Junior year and took my checkride the summer I graduated.

I suppose I worked for it by providing volunteer service to the Civil Air Patrol, in return I ended up with a solo scholarship and cheap planes and free instruction.

Paid for the airplane from private through multi-comm-IFR by working part time at the FBO. Instructor and fuel were not included. Of course, 100LL was only about $1.10 a gallon and CFI's were ~$20 an hour.

Back