pay for flight lessons with 529 fund?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
Does anyone know if money in my 529 account can be used for flight lessons? I already have my private and I'm working towards instrument. I do not make any income from aviation (obviously without a commercial license).

One way to be sure is sign up for flying courses through a Community College. The local ones here have both ground and flight courses for credit in Aviation programs.

Cheers

(3) Qualified higher education expenses

(A) In general The term “qualified higher education expenses” means—
(i) tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for the enrollment or attendance of a designated beneficiary at an eligible educational institution;
(ii) expenses for special needs services in the case of a special needs beneficiary which are incurred in connection with such enrollment or attendance [2]
(iii) expenses paid or incurred in 2009 or 2010 for the purchase of any computer technology or equipment (as defined in section 170 (e)(6)(F)(i)) or Internet access and related services, if such technology, equipment, or services are to be used by the beneficiary and the beneficiary’s family during any of the years the beneficiary is enrolled at an eligible educational institution. Clause (iii) shall not include expenses for computer software designed for sports, games, or hobbies unless the software is predominantly educational in nature.

(B) Room and board included for students who are at least half-time (i) In general In the case of an individual who is an eligible student (as defined in section 25A (b)(3)) for any academic period, such term shall also include reasonable costs for such period (as determined under the qualified tuition program) incurred by the designated beneficiary for room and board while attending such institution. For purposes of subsection (b)(6), a designated beneficiary shall be treated as meeting the requirements of this clause.
(ii) Limitation The amount treated as qualified higher education expenses by reason of clause (i) shall not exceed— (I) the allowance (applicable to the student) for room and board included in the cost of attendance (as defined in section 472 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1087ll), as in effect on the date of the enactment of the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001) as determined by the eligible educational institution for such period, or
(II) if greater, the actual invoice amount the student residing in housing owned or operated by the eligible educational institution is charged by such institution for room and board costs for such period.

(4) Application of section 514 An interest in a qualified tuition program shall not be treated as debt for purposes of section 514.

(5) Eligible educational institution The term “eligible educational institution” means an institution—
(A) which is described in section 481 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1088), as in effect on the date of the enactment of this paragraph, and
(B) which is eligible to participate in a program under title IV of such Act.

I'm no expert but after reading the applicable section of the tax code above, I would say that probably only if they were part of an accredited college program while you are working towards a degree of some sort.

speaking as a taxpayer, I hope not

why not? How are accredited flight lessons (if pursuing a job in aviation) any different than a trade school?

As a taxpayer I'll say JHW is out to lunch. 529 funds should be just fine for any 141 school.

I got my training on the GI Bill and that qualified me for any 141 training excluding Private Pilot. Good news...I already had my PPL.

Also, I know the GI Bill of my era was cash positive. The government collected $1,200 off every enlisted man or woman unless they opted out on one day in basic. That was the day every Company Commander came in and addressed the group that we WILL sign up. Sure, I could have told them to **** off...but as a recuit in Basic training that didn't seem like a good idea at the time. :)

Anyway, the government made money on the deal. Sure they payed out $24,000 while they only collected $1,200...but how many enlisted end up going to college? Not enough to cost them money.

Plus, having an educated population is a good thing. Even if I didn't spend a dime and the Navy just gave me the money, I've spent way more in taxes making a TON more as a pilot than I would have with just a high school diploma. I'm cash positive on that GI Bill...the whole $24,000 I got has been paid double in extra taxes on my elevated income due to the GI Bill.

It's called investment and it's a good thing to invest in people. As a taxpayer I hope that 529 fund pays for your training.

Does anyone know if money in my 529 account can be used for flight lessons? I already have my private and I'm working towards instrument. I do not make any income from aviation (obviously without a commercial license).

I covered my son's flying expenses under his 529...but a PPL is a degree requirement for his major (ATC) at his university.

In that context its a tax evasion scheme

Every program we enter 529,401k etc... is a tax (reduction) scheme. Your evasion makes it sound illegal, but im sure that was the effect you were going for. I'm not sure if lessons count or not, I assume that if you go thru an accredited university then you should be able to but that is a question for a tax person. If the 529 is for higher education and the law allows it, go for it. I think its a good idea.

If the flying is required by an accredited degree program, 529 money is probably allowable. Smart person would take a non-aviation degree with an aviation minor to accomplish it.

P.S. and as someone else pointed out, most accredited degree programs will require the flight school be Part 141.

Every program we enter 529,401k etc... is a tax (reduction) scheme. Your evasion makes it sound illegal, but im sure that was the effect you were going for. I'm not sure if lessons count or not, I assume that if you go thru an accredited university then you should be able to but that is a question for a tax person. If the 529 is for higher education and the law allows it, go for it. I think its a good idea.

Contributions to a 529 are not tax deductible (at least federally). Any income generated in the plan however, is tax deferred, and even exempt if used for the qualified uses.
A 529 can be used for both higher education and vocational schools.

Contributions to a 529 are not tax deductible (at least federally). Any income generated in the plan however, is tax deferred, and even exempt if used for the qualified uses.
A 529 can be used for both higher education and vocational schools.
Well some are tax deductible at the state level, at least the ones that I contribute to are up to a certain dollar amount. Its really not that great, but tax deferred growth can be a different story that is if you can find growth these days.:wink2:

I've been kicking this around as well, something similar I own a logistics company, public warehousing trucking fulfillment pick n pack that type of project and of course we do air freight on occasion, been thinking in terms of expansion could flight lessons and getting a PPL be a write off, as per the start to doing our own air freight regional same day special service type projects..

Just curious how the continuing education in terms of business any help appreciated.

Well to do the latter you need not only pilot training (which you might argue is a business expense if it enhances the existing job) but also a Part 135 certificate which requires 500 hours for even flying boxes VFR.

Yes I know you'll have to get the commerical and all that but just a means to a start..

Back