Pattern Entry Method

BTW, on the high midfield crosswind to a 45 vs the midfield crosswind to downwind, I find it interesting that:

• For years, the FAA disapproved the midfield crosswind to downwind, so it's nice to see the entry I learned almost 30 years ago at the airport where I did my primary training is now recognized as legit ;)
  • Canada has always recognized the midfield crosswind to downwind, but not the 45 entry.

I don't know the reason for the FAA's recent acceptance of the midfield crosswind to downwind but I would not be surprised if it were not at least in part due to near-misses (if not worse) when the midfield crosswind to a 45 is done. The descending turn is supposed to be done well clear of the traffic pattern. The problem has been a combination of (a) pilots doing the maneuver too close to the airport and (b) other pilots flying 747 traffic patterns in a 152.

For the TPA +500 guys, when you do that be sure to look for the turbine planes coming in at TPA +500.

AC 90-66A 8 (c). RECOMMENDED STANDARD TRAFFIC PATTERN.

8(c). It is recommended that airplanes observe a 1000 foot above ground level (AGL) traffic pattern altitude. Large and turbine powered airplanes should enter the traffic pattern at an altitude of 1,500 feet AGL or 500 feet above the established pattern altitude. A pilot may vary the size of the traffic pattern depending on the aircraft's performance characteristics.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC90-66A.pdf

Again, Recommended, not set in stone. For example, If a very strong wind will give me a super tail wind on left base, I may do a right base instead, but I will be saying right base on the radio.

I don't know how you can quote a passage about recommended altitudes and varying the side of the patterns and use that to claim that the direction of the traffic pattern is also "recommended". The direction of the pattern, at least when landing, is mandatory.

If you have a strong tailwind on base you could fly a larger pattern which is what your quote of the AC suggests.

An Alaska Airlines pilot received a 25 day suspension for doing that.

https://www.ntsb.gov/legal/alj/OnODocuments/Aviation/3523.pdf

Interesting read, thanks for bringing that up.

Must be a story behind the story here somewhere, personal conflicts maybe. Of course this was years later but I remember the day that the wind was howling out of the north, 50 knots or so at 1000 AGL and around 25 knots on the ground at Kotzebue and everyone was using right traffic. Our POI was in the office, and the feds were in town, they were always in town except holidays and weekends. No one said a thing about the right base. Doing a right base to runway 8 (now rwy 9) at Kotz puts the planes right over the FSS, which really annoyed the weather guys.

I guess next time I do something to be safe, I will declare an emergency, then on final undeclare...:lol::lol::lol:

As the old saying goes, "My goal is to live long enough to attend the hearing."

I don't think undeclaring is required.

Interesting read, thanks for bringing that up.

Must be a story behind the story here somewhere, personal conflicts maybe.
Probably a pretty good one since the Boardman case is actually one of two cases in which an Alaska Airlines pilot was nailed for this violation, and at the same airport.

The books tell us to turn crosswind 300 feet below TPA, a procedure that is appropriate to taking off and flying the pattern but is not applicable to entering the pattern on arrival. Additionally, the AFH depicts a midfield crosswind entry as acceptable. You should know what your sources actually say before trying to use them to back up your argument.

:rolleyes:

Back