Pattern Conflict -- continued

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
RE: the thread about the other plane being 400' blo the OP's alt on downwind to base.

Just this afternoon I called 6 nm NE to land RWY 33 with two company traffic following me. I was at TPA in a C-207. A TBM 750 calls 15 nm SW and intends to overfly the field to enter right downwind RWY 33. No altitude given. I continue but expect a conflict with this fast mover. Then a Mooney M20 calls to say he's 6 nm to the NW and will enter right downwind RWY 33 from his position (aligned with downwind and 150 HDG). I call the Mooney in sight and say I will follow him on downwind. Mooney is no factor from this point on although I have slowed to 100 kts for spacing. (I join downwind 3/4 mile trail of the Mooney.)

As I am turning to join the downwind the TBM calls 3 to the west. I ask for his altitude. As he's talking I see him turning to join right downwind. He must've been still west of the runway when he began his turn. He's TPA+500. I call him in sight and say I am at his 1 o'clock low. I say I will pass directly blo him. I begin my turn after I pass under him. He calls me in sight while he's in the turn. I roll wings level and see him 1/4 mile in front of me and passing through my altitude. I modify slightly to extend downwind before turning base.

On the ground I had a casual conversation with the TBM pilot. Nice guy. No one got excited, no one got upset. It all played out nicely and was a non-event. Sometimes things happen. Everyone flew their normal speeds and profiles. Fly as expected but expect the unexpected.

[In the midst of this we had a flight of four way to the south jamming the freq plus a guy in a "Centurion" who turned out to be a Meridian. I guess we could have better announced our intentions but the freq was busy. I could have turned an extended downwind entry from further to the N or made a base entry but I didn't want to confuse the following traffic. Or I could had flown a wide downwind but that's what I expected the TBM would do.]

Last edited:
This just goes to show that using radios is just one tool for collision avoidance and arrival sequencing. With or without radio contact it's most important to maintain a visual lookout (as you did).

IOW, radio calls are useful as long as they aren't considered the "solution".

Back