Past SSRI use

R

Roger Roger

I was prescribed Lexapro 10MG for about 14 months during a particularly stressful time in my life. I was having bouts of insomnia that my GP felt was related to anxiety. The Lexapro worked and got me back to my old self and soon I started sleeping normally again. I remained on the 10mg dosage until both my doctor and I decided I could be weaned off. After a period of tapering, I stopped the medicine and have been off it for over 18 months with no ill after effects. In fact, I feel great, my health is good; I am exercising regularly, eating healthy, and generally have a positive outlook. This episode was my one and only that I believe was brought on by the COVID lockdowns and associated stressors related to my particular line of work.

I have been flying consistently for the past 10 years and had previously switched to Basic Med just because it was easier. I have my private, Instrument, and am currently training for my commercial license. My hope is to earn my CFI and become a part time instructor at my local flight school.

My question is what hoops will I have to jump through to get back to a regular medical? Will I have to go through the HIMS program, complete a COGSCREEN, or spend $$$$ thousands demonstrating I am fit to fly?

@lbfjrmd

@bbchien

My hope is to earn my CFI and become a part time instructor at my local flight school.
My question is what hoops will I have to jump through to get back to a regular medical? Will I have to go through the HIMS program, complete a COGSCREEN, or spend $$$$ thousands demonstrating I am fit to fly?

A search for previous SSRI threads

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/search/search?keywords=ssri&title_only=1

would have revealed a post from @bbchien from last month that should apply to you:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/ssri-path-1.142122/#post-3380251

So, yes, you can likely be issued.

...but, FWIW, you can get your comm/CFI and instruct with BasicMed.

The goals you have stated can be accomplished with Basic Med. Why play FAA medical roulette?

If there was but one med, and there was no suicidality, and the doc is willing to declare this was the only event needing psych support, and the stimulus to this is named and noted to be gone, and duration is <<2 years, if the doc is willing to put every one of the details in a letter, with his formal diagnosis, and note he has seen you >>60 days off meds and you have nothing left to treat, AME defers, FAA issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back