Past Medical Records

T

TM2334

I will need to get a new medical to pursue a FAA certificate, but I am afraid one bad choice and unfortunate incident a year ago will get in the way of that. I was stupid and had a couple THC gummys at my first concert, then a few days later I was in the ER for an unrelated illness. They did a urinalysis along with other tests and it was positive. That was the one and only time I ever used a drug. Will that in my medical records prevent me from getting a third class medical?

It won’t prevent you, but it will make it a long expensive path..... Unless you don’t disclose that on your MedXpress form, which you will get varying degrees of opinions from people on here.

two questions on the express could start you down the road to a SI. 18U addmission to hospital, if you were admitted that must be checked yes and the AME will ask about it. that may or may not cause issues. the bigger problem is 18N use of illegal substance in the past two years. even if it was in a state that has legalized THC, this is a federal government form and it is still illegal under federal law, so you must check yes. Firsts, CONSULT with a senior AME, preferably a HIMS AME, before going any further. that is the road I would take. however, you could wait until the two years has passed and then you could truthfully answer 18N no. answering no before the two years is REAL bad idea, that is a fraudulent statement on a federal form, and there is documentation somewhere to show that, and will lead to revocation of any and all certifications and possible other legal issues.

The current 18n is “have you ever in your life”. I.missing the significance of 2 years.....

The current 18n is “have you ever in your life”. I.missing the significance of 2 years.....
It reads:

Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.

I guess the question is whether a routine UA in a hospital can be "failed."

It reads:

Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.

I guess the question is whether a routine UA in a hospital can be "failed."

I would guess it doesn’t have to count as a failed test. It only has to be documented use in his health history, which it clearly would be. If they can label me with alcohol abuse for having a high CDT count, in the absence of any incidents, or supporting history, and without meeting their own definition of abuse, you can rest assured they will flag his “one time” use.

Flying Ron:

The problem is abuse has to be distinguished from FAA defined dependency B4 any such application can move forward, - and the HIMS psychiatrist and the rest of part 67 stds control that....

proving no abuse for 2 years is 24 months of randomingly peeing in the cup. But you can still have untreated dependence (abuse is in your mouth, dependence is in between your ears)....so then you have to prepare for the HIMS psychiatrist anyway.....

Bruce, is there a situation these days in which a DUI gets a "pass?" Just as an illustration, suppose, for example, a first-time applicant reports a solitary DUI which occurred 15 years earlier. Court and police records indicate was stopped for some weaving or "light" moving violation on the way home from a party. There was no accident and the arrestee was cooperative. Blew a 1.0 on the breath test. Case disposition was typical for a first offender with no aggravating circumstances. Personal statement is factual with no excuses.

I use that example for two reasons. First, it's the most innocuous DUI situation I could come up with. Second, I have a pretty good idea how it would have been treated 15 years ago.

Actually for the one time DUI > 5 years ago in which the BAC exists and was 0.149 or less, the AME can make the determination and issue.
However the challenge rate is 100%
So when I do that I already have a CADC evaluation in the FAA's DSM 4 format (Have you ever in your life, not just in the past 2 years....per DSM5),
The arresting officer's essay of behavior
A non self indicting personal statement full of detail
All "states of past licensure" certified DMV searches.

I am pretty good a reading personal statements the way the FAA does. You'll note the concurrent string in which I did not feel I could help the guy because of his lack of insight.

I read one a decade back when I was doing FAA:

"My GF and I decided to go over the ridge to visit with a friend of ours so we got on the Harley. after about 90 minute as it was a hot day we stopped at a roadside bar and each had a beer. We continued on. Near the summit, we stopped for lunch and had two each more... We were pulled over about two miles past the bar and the officer asked if we'd been drinking. I was truthful and only blew 0.10......" I didn't bother to read the rest of the essay.

Well, the problem: Truthiness, and can you pick out the other problem?

So when I issue one of them I have to be convinced that there is no possibility of abuse, nor of tolerance, nor of lifestyle centered around the usage, nor of blackouts nor withdrawal.

And a Cert'd. Alcohol and Disease counselor who remembers DSM 4 has to agree with me. In writing, so I can defend it.

So, for the one-timer the question is misuse vs abuse, though you can have dependency on a single offense. For the two timer the question is abuse vs dependency

Bruce

However the challenge rate is 100%
So when I do that I already have a CADC evaluation in the FAA's DSM 4 format (Have you ever in your life, not just in the past 2 years....per DSM5),
The arresting officer's essay of behavior
A non self indicting personal statement full of detail
All "states of past licensure" certified DMV searches.
Thank you. That's been pretty much what I was thinking.

And yes, I can definitely see problems with that statement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back