Past History of AFIB

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
If AFIB was ablated 6 years ago with no reoccurance can you get a 3rd class medical or use the new basic med rules?

If AFIB was ablated 6 years ago with no reoccurance can you get a 3rd class medical or use the new basic med rules?
Yes for any class.

Assuming you are on no rate control or Afib meds now, you'll need record of the ablation, and a 24 hour holter monitor showing nothing but sinus, and a stress treadmill anywhere in the past 6 years. If you had all and a current Family practice doc office visit record, that I would issue you in the office.

Leo, no need to listen to any further advice. You just got the most credible information available.

Mods can close this thread.

Yes for any class.

Assuming you are on no rate control or Afib meds now, you'll need record of the ablation, and a 24 hour holter monitor showing nothing but sinus, and a stress treadmill anywhere in the past 6 years. If you had all and a current Family practice doc office visit record, that I would issue you in the office.
Its been several years since treadmill and holter monitors. Cardio doc released me from care in 2012-2013 ish and said only come back if you need to. All yearly physicals since then have normal sinus rhythm. If I have to go get more tests run that costs $$$$.

FAA does not care about costs. There is no "bargaining with FAA". Nothing is cheap. If you have had a medical in the past 10 years, see if you can get a Basic_Med signoff.

But, it sound like have had the treadmill in the past. Re-read carefully. The past treadmill will do the job. All you need is a holter monitor. You can order them up on the internet for about $400. If that's too much, I don't see how you can mount a flying budget.

FAA does not care about costs. There is no "bargaining with FAA". Nothing is cheap. If you have had a medical in the past 10 years, see if you can get a Basic_Med signoff.

But, it sound like have had the treadmill in the past. Re-read carefully. The past treadmill will do the job. All you need is a holter monitor. You can order them up on the internet for about $400. If that's too much, I don't see how you can mount a flying budget.
Sorry to hi-jack here, but you got my curiosity up. How does one order an internet Holter test and get reliable interpretation. I have a history of PVC's and would like a Holter occasionally just to see how I'm doing but I don't want to waste cardiologist's time. It is no longer an issue for me for my 3rd class as I have satisfied the FAA's requests for info.

That was the jist of my question. I had a special issuance medical in 2006 that expired in 2007 so I was wondering if I could go through the basic med vs having to go thru the FAA AME this time around.

That's a whole different question than I understood the first time through. You will probably have to satisfy their information requests at least once and it should get easier after that. Re-read post number 2, I think he was clear about what your requirements would be moving forward. It was a pain for me to get through, but worth it. Best luck to you and congratulations getting the AFIB controlled.

That was the jist of my question. I had a special issuance medical in 2006 that expired in 2007 so I was wondering if I could go through the basic med vs having to go thru the FAA AME this time around.
Well, you didn't say for what the 2006 SI was for....was it actually for Afib?

Last edited:
Yes it was random occurring when I got the medical in 2006 and aftern the medical lapsed the AFIB got to the point I wanted to try ablation in 2010. That worked and no reoccurance of AFIB since 2010. Since my last medical is within the 10 yr grandfather period and was never revoked I should be good for the basic med, right?

Yes it was random occurring when I got the medical in 2006 and aftern the medical lapsed the AFIB got to the point I wanted to try ablation in 2010. That worked and no reoccurance of AFIB since 2010. Since my last medical is within the 10 yr grandfather period and was never revoked I should be good for the basic med, right?
Then, yes :)

2017-2006=11
But if he got it in 2006 it was still valid in 2007. The A/C is very detailed about that. The act was dated July 14, 2016. So it's all about the "not valid for any class after...." date.

Attachments

• Pages from AC_68-1.BASIC.med.pdf
    126 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
But if he got it in 2006 it was still valid in 2007. The A/C is very detailed about that. The act was dated July 14, 2017. So it's all about the "not valid for any class after...." date.
I think you mean July 14, 2016. Still valid, though.

Thanks. I admit I haven't read all the details yet. I thought is was 10 years from when you GOT the medical. Thanks for the explanation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back