Past DUIs

Cessna5221

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Love2Fly
Hello all,

So, I had three DUIs before I was 21 years old which was back in the 1980s. I want to take my 3rd class medical for my private pilot. I obtained a printout of my driving record and did a search with The National Driver Registry, and nothing shows up on either one. Should I still disclose to the AME that I had these DUIs? or just keep my mouth shut? Thank you in advance for any information.

Disclose. Failure to do so is a fed felony. Then expect a long, uphill battle.

Or, do sport pilot and avoid the medical.

Disclose. Failure to do so is a fed felony. Then expect a long, uphill battle.

Or, do sport pilot and avoid the medical.
And if you DO take the physical and are denied a med then you cannot obtain the Sport license.

- We're you arrested and booked for DUI
- Did you go to court? Found guilty?
- Had your license suspended or revoked?

Three DUIs before you were 21 will be a long, long hill to climb. Tread very carefully here.

What age is it permissible to have three DUI’s and look the other way?

What age is it permissible to have three DUI’s and look the other way?
Almost 40 years ago...that age. If there are no other incidences in that time lapse then it should be assumed that the person has dealt with the problem. It is very unlikely that an alcoholic can go 30+ years without consequences. I think that is EdFred's point.

Almost 40 years ago...that age. If there are no other incidences in that time lapse then it should be assumed that the person has dealt with the problem. It is very unlikely that an alcoholic can go 30+ years without consequences. I think that is EdFred's point.
I have had no DUIs since those back in the 1980s.

So, I should disclose? I am also going to talk to an aviation attorney.

What's BS about the FAA and this is that it happened almost 40 years ago and before a brain was fully developed. No incidents since? Let it go FAA.
Unfortunately for the OP that's not the current regulation and is a matter for congress and the FAA admin. to consider. His three DUIs before age 21 is a very steep mountain to traverse under current regulations. Consulting an aviation atty will give the OP a legal answer but he might be better served making an appointment for a consultation with an aviation doc to discuss the ramifications of disclosing the DUIs, what is likely to happen regarding his access to other FAA aviation certificates such as the Sport cert and the myriad of hoops he will most likely have to jump through to acquire and keep his certificate.

Taking the OP's word at face value it's clear, and to his credit, that he has his 'stuff' together but, fair or not, this is one of those occasions momma warned us all about that bad decisions today have a way of coming back around to smack us upside the head tomorrow. I wish him the best.

Hello all,

So, I had three DUIs before I was 21 years old which was back in the 1980s. I want to take my 3rd class medical for my private pilot. I obtained a printout of my driving record and did a search with The National Driver Registry, and nothing shows up on either one. Should I still disclose to the AME that I had these DUIs? or just keep my mouth shut? Thank you in advance for any information.

Let's take this one step at a time. What do you intend to do with a Private Pilot certificate? It's possible a Sport certificate might suffice and make your whole problem moot.

Let's take this one step at a time. What do you intend to do with a Private Pilot certificate? It's possible a Sport certificate might suffice and make your whole problem moot.
I just want to fly. I also did a Live Scan with my fingerprints to get my California criminal record and the DUIs are not on that report either.

You are legally required to disclose. If you've looked at Medxpress and the instructions, you know that. So what answer do you expect to get here?

You are legally required to disclose. If you've looked at Medxpress and the instructions, you know that. So what answer do you expect to get here?
There is no need to be rude. I just read that California has a 10 year wash out period.

It’s not so much the driving record for it to show up, it will be your criminal history it will show up.

It’s not so much the driving record for it to show up, it will be your criminal history it will show up.
I paid for a Live Scan with my fingerprints, and it is not on there either.

The application DOES NOT ASK “is there record of”. Is asks “have you ever”.

Some jurisdiction will have a record. Even if Cal only shows the last ten, they have it and so does the FBI fingerprint record.

Nondisclose——> they WILL eventually find it.
Look up
4 delta pilots indicted
27 pilots indicted
6000 airmen under investigation
60 emergency revocations
Etc

Happy club fed for you….

There is no need to be rude. I just read that California has a 10 year wash out period.
People are getting rude because you keep insisting that you don't have to tell the truth if you won't get caught lying.

The most recent video on my channel features a student pilot who lied on his medical application. He didn't get caught until he and his friend became a smoking hole in the ground.

You are eligible for Sport Pilot as long as you do not apply for and get denied a medical. A Sport Pilot Certificate is a good deal and if the promises hinted at in the upcoming MOSAIC are kept it will be an even better deal.

I see some frustration in this conversation but please let all of that go and realize that if you just want to fly ... a light sport plane (or any eligible certified or experimental airplane) will make your dreams come true.

I've been flying light sport for a number of years and it fits my needs very well. I've breifly thought about a 3rd class (and then going basic med) as I have no medical issues but I don't care to fly in the dark or the clouds and I really like the freedom of not having to deal with the FAA medical process ...

1711072959658.png

I’ve read thru past Bruce’s (bbcien) reply. For reference he’s one of the most experienced HIMS AMEs in the US. He has a large group of airmen with similar experiences he’s responsible for.

Sometimes I find source documentation to be helpful. The FAA publishes what and how must be disclosed on the medical application in the Medxpress user guide.

https://medxpress.faa.gov/MedXpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Please refer to page 45 and review the instructions for block 18. Medical History. Then flip yo page 48 and review section 21.1.v in it’s entirety. Finally, flip up to page 37 and review Figure 48 in it’s entirety, to include the NOTICE on the bottom left of that figure.

That’s the FAA’s position on what is required to be disclosed.

The FAA also provides public access to the decision criteria for things that must be disclosed. For Drug/Alcohol/Substance Abuse, that criteria is at the link below.

You are in block d. At application, you need to go to a HIMS AME, will need to submit the personal statement, AND you will be deferred.

The FAA will review your statement and likely ask for more. This can range up you proving your sobriety thru private pay random alcohol testing for 12 months or longer. Mandatory AA may be required, also, and possibly evaluation by an authorized psych. This is all private pay and takes a year or more of wait time, with no guarantee of success.

The FAA can also flat out deny the application. If that happens, you will not be eligible for Sport Pilot privileges, which gets you in the air, with a passenger, solely on your having a driver’s license.

The other option is to forego the Class 3 medical and fly sport pilot which, honestly, is effectively how most private pilots fly. With 1 passenger or less, in airplanes that don’t exceed 120kts, in the daytime.

The choice is yours to make, drop a bunch of money on the hope of a class 3, or pass go, collect $200, and proceed to Sport Pilot training.

None of what I wrote is a judgement of you or your history. The FAA, by law, is required to certify your history according to federal law. The pertinent law can be found in 14 CFR 67.307 for a Class 3 medical.

I just want to fly. I also did a Live Scan with my fingerprints to get my California criminal record and the DUIs are not on that report either.

If you “just want to fly,” then get a Sport Pilot certificate and stop worrying about a medical. You’ll be limited to a single passenger and flying daytime VFR only, but that’s how most of us fly most of the time anyway. Light Sport Aircraft (LSAs) are very capable planes and many pilots with Private certificates are perfectly satisfied with them.

If you get a SP certificate, all your training will count toward Private later on if you decide you need it. For now, though, why not avoid the need for a medical, get the SP ticket, and start flying? Get your feet wet, gain some experience, and then decide whether a medical is worth the expense and hassle and risk.

The application DOES NOT ASK “is there record of”. Is asks “have you ever”.

Some jurisdiction will have a record. Even if Cal only shows the last ten, they have it and so does the FBI fingerprint record.

Nondisclose——> they WILL eventually find it.
Look up
4 delta pilots indicted
27 pilots indicted
6000 airmen under investigation
60 emergency revocations
Etc

Happy club fed for you….
Were any of those were based on criminal records, FBI files, or driving records?

My father-in-law was an alcoholic and never had a DUI or any other interaction with law enforcement.
Indeed! I knew a number of "functioning alcoholics" back in the day (~ 40 years ago) and for the most part if you didn't know, you wouldn't know ...

Back