Past depression diagnosis

U

Unregistered

I'm a private pilot looking for a third-class medical (I have been flying gliders without a medical for almost 10 years, and now I'm working on a power rating).

Besides past health issues that I don't think will be a problem, I do have a diagnosis of depression from two years ago. Unfortunately, "Anxiety" is also noted (although I disagree with that one and may be able to get a letter from the prescribing family physician). I took citalopram for about a month, then sertraline for 11 months, with excellent results. The depression was mild to begin with, and completely resolved during that time. I did not receive counseling. I had no adverse side-effects from sertraline; the depression was situational (my partner was severely depressed herself for years, and we split up).

I would not want to have a medical denied at this time, but I would like to get the medical for my ASEL. LSA is unattractive to me (want to fly a C172 at least, with some passengers in the back). If these problems are unsurmountable, I'd rather just fly my sailplane.

Can you recommend a good course of action?
In light of the third-class medical reform, would it make sense to wait it out? I can wait for a few months, if that's what it takes.

What will the FAA's disposition be once positive letters from the treating doc are submitted? Is there a way to get my medical from the AME directly?

I would seriously like to avoid a situation where I am forced to do a CogScreen every 6 months and supply annual reports on a transient problem that is resolved. I would obviously like to avoid disqualifying myself for future third-class medical exemptions.

Finally, I would prefer to be upfront about the past problems. I have read Dr. Bruce's advice in this forum, though I must say that the FAA's lack of differentiation between serious threats and resolved minor issues seems to put me between a rock and a hard place.

Situational depression that was resolved should not pose a problem, especially if you have all of your records and can contact the prescribing physician if necessary.

I would not hold my breath for 3rd class medical form.

I would contact Dr. Bruce in order to determine exactly what documentation you need. With that in hand, I would expect that your AME could issue on the spot.

I'm a private pilot looking for a third-class medical (I have been flying gliders without a medical for almost 10 years, and now I'm working on a power rating).

Besides past health issues that I don't think will be a problem, I do have a diagnosis of depression from two years ago. Unfortunately, "Anxiety" is also noted (although I disagree with that one and may be able to get a letter from the prescribing family physician). I took citalopram for about a month, then sertraline for 11 months, with excellent results. The depression was mild to begin with, and completely resolved during that time. I did not receive counseling. I had no adverse side-effects from sertraline; the depression was situational (my partner was severely depressed herself for years, and we split up).

I would not want to have a medical denied at this time, but I would like to get the medical for my ASEL. LSA is unattractive to me (want to fly a C172 at least, with some passengers in the back). If these problems are unsurmountable, I'd rather just fly my sailplane.

Can you recommend a good course of action?
In light of the third-class medical reform, would it make sense to wait it out? I can wait for a few months, if that's what it takes.

What will the FAA's disposition be once positive letters from the treating doc are submitted? Is there a way to get my medical from the AME directly?

I would seriously like to avoid a situation where I am forced to do a CogScreen every 6 months and supply annual reports on a transient problem that is resolved. I would obviously like to avoid disqualifying myself for future third-class medical exemptions.

Finally, I would prefer to be upfront about the past problems. I have read Dr. Bruce's advice in this forum, though I must say that the FAA's lack of differentiation between serious threats and resolved minor issues seems to put me between a rock and a hard place.

As Unreg#2 said (and why post a good answer anonymously?), there is a vector to get your medical when the depression was situational and a short term of time.

I believe Dr. Bruce says the original diagnosing doctor needs to write a short narrative about your situation and include verbiage saying the your condition was transitional or not permanent. And there is likely some additional documentation requirements.

As you already know, seek Dr. Bruce's advice on the last word of what's needed.

And if you don't trust your local cadre of AME's to do the job correctly, then it might be worth the expense of travelling directly to Peoria to get it done correctly and promptly.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. From what I have learned here, there is a 6-month threshold for the duration of treatment with SSRIs. Beyond that, extensive workup appears to be needed. Can you comment and refer me to pertinent FAA documentation? (Their SSRI work sheet refers to current use.)

While I am confident that I could eventually overcome the hurdles (I can pay for one-time tests and consultations), I'm not sure I would want frequent hassles in the long term. Also, at this time, I have no reason to believe that a resolved medical issue makes me a dangerous pilot.

(I'll check back here for additional information that may be posted for the benefit of others. Related threads with very competent information have been helpful.)

Can you comment and refer me to pertinent FAA documentation?

Seek out Dr. Bruce Chien for this.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html
AeroMedicalDoc@comcast.net

Again, us yardbirds here can only speculate as to what is needed. And commentary on your specific or anyone elses situation may not be useful to you due to facts not in evidence.

However, Dr. Bruce is one of the definitive sources on this.

While I am confident that I could eventually overcome the hurdles (I can pay for one-time tests and consultations), I'm not sure I would want frequent hassles in the long term. Also, at this time, I have no reason to believe that a resolved medical issue makes me a dangerous pilot.

Again, ask Dr. Bruce about what is required to maintain the certificate long term.

Speaking to "dangerous pilot", rarely is it the display of symptoms (aka the depression) that makes you so (unless you're from Georgetown, TX, and have a thing against IRS buildings in Austin [link]). It is the effects of the medication, especially sedative effects, that ground you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back