Password issue

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
OK, another stupid computer issue. Two years ago I sent a summary of my tax info in a Word file to my tax guy. That done, I passworded the Word file when I archived it. But for the life of me I can't remember what it is. I've tried everything I've ever thought of. Any way to bypass it? I don't need the formatting or anything, just the contents.

Ken:

One of my nightmares is I'm sent to Heaven after an untimely accident. I'm in awe to be going up instead of down. Things look good until Saint Peter welcomes me and asks me for my PIN number -- uh -- uh-- I just can't remember it and in slow motion, I begin falling down!! And down!!

Geesh. Why did you remind me of this!!

Best,

Dave

What version of Word did you create the file in? Newer versions are harder. All of them can be cracked for a price (reasonable price).

What version of Word did you create the file in? Newer versions are harder. All of them can be cracked for a price (reasonable price).
So I guess that means I should just dig out the original documents and recreate the data. Sigh. I was hoping there would be a (free) easy way ...

Oh well. Thanks.

So I guess that means I should just dig out the original documents and recreate the data. Sigh. I was hoping there would be a (free) easy way ...

Oh well. Thanks.

$40? How much do value your time at?

Think if it as another round of Quicken extortion.

$40? How much do value your time at?

Think if it as another round of Quicken extortion.
I missed the 40 bucks part. Thanks for posting that. Went ahead and did it and had the results in no time. Thanks!!! Amended tax return, here I come!

I missed the 40 bucks part. Thanks for posting that. Went ahead and did it and had the results in no time. Thanks!!! Amended tax return, here I come!

So when you got your password did you slap your head and say, "Oh, yea. I remember using that?"

So when you got your password did you slap your head and say, "Oh, yea. I remember using that?"

The programs REMOVE the password from the document. It doesn't actually crack it, AFAIK.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Dave, you're cracking me up here!

One of the reasons I keep coming back to POA is because of the unqualified support and sympathy I receive from other noted members :rofl:

I really did have that nightmare after a long day where I couldn't get into a couple web sites because I couldn't recall the passwords!

Best,

Dave

The programs REMOVE the password from the document. It doesn't actually crack it, AFAIK.

You upload the file and they email you back a decrypted version.

Right. But they dont' say "Your password was 'nnnnn'" because they have no idea what it was. They just removed it, o,r decrypted the text. Can't unmake the sausage....recover the key.

A little late for me to be replying now, but about six months ago I was in the same situation. I successfully retrieved a password from an encrypted Word document after I forgot what I used...

The utility is free, ran on my PC (locally, so I didn't have to send the file to anyone). It's a brute force checker, but it did find it after about 1/2 hour.

This is one of those files worth saving to your download archive, just in case you ever need it.

(And yes, I slapped my forehead once it showed me what my password was... obvious once I saw it!)

Attachments

• OfficePWExtractor.zip
    236.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back