Passports Soon to Be Required

Gary Sortor

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GaryS
"A proposal announced today by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the State Department would require anyone reentering the United States from any foreign country to carry a valid passport. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative would be implemented in phases, with the first deadline set for December 31 when all citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda traveling from the Caribbean and Central or South America will need a passport to reenter the United States. One year later, December 31, 2006, the requirement will be extended to all citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda who are reentering the United States from Canada or Mexico. The following year, December 31, 2007, the rule will be expanded to include all persons traveling in the Western Hemisphere who are returning to the United States."

I have no problem with the passport rule. I carry mine all the time when travelling outsied the U.S. Even, 15 years ago, when going to Vancouver, BC, they scrutinized my wife (no ex) more than me because I had a passport and she didn't. The Canadian border patrol woman said "now that's what we like to see" when I produced my passport as opposed to my wife's birth certificate. Just one of the may pieces of advice she choose to ignore from me before we left for the trip. Sigh.

Once you have a Passport, no big deal. These days you'll probably want it for flight training (see TSA rules) as opposed to the birth certificate.

BTW, I'd recommend that you get one now, if you don't already have one, before they start putting RFID chips into them. I suspect there will be some bugs to work out with the chips.

The only real hassle here is getting the passport, but even that just requires an hour or so to fill out the forms and of course, you have to send in your Birth Certificate, which makes me nervous but they sent mine back to me pretty quickly.

I think its about time we locked down the borders. I have no problem having "open borders" with Canada - I love Canada and I love Canadians - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be making sure that the people coming in from Canada really ARE canadians. One need only recall how the 9/11 Hijackers entered the country to realise something's been wrong in that regard for a long time.

As opposed as I am to unnecessary security measures, this is one measure that IS necessary - insecure borders kill people.

Greebo said:
The only real hassle here is getting the passport, but even that just requires an hour or so to fill out the forms and of course, you have to send in your Birth Certificate, which makes me nervous but they sent mine back to me pretty quickly.

I think its about time we locked down the borders. I have no problem having "open borders" with Canada - I love Canada and I love Canadians - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be making sure that the people coming in from Canada really ARE canadians. One need only recall how the 9/11 Hijackers entered the country to realise something's been wrong in that regard for a long time.

As opposed as I am to unnecessary security measures, this is one measure that IS necessary - insecure borders kill people.

I would agree, if they were actually locking down the borders. However, they aren't doing a thing to secure our southern borders, just the opposite it appears to me.

Joe Williams said:
I would agree, if they were actually locking down the borders. However, they aren't doing a thing to secure our southern borders, just the opposite it appears to me.
I know where you're coming from and I agree - although I think the volunteer group that's patrolling the border down there deserves a lot of credit.

But still, you've got to start closing the holes somewhere. If they can demonstrate that this works using the Canadian border, its a step in the right direction to applying it at the mexican border too, isn't it?

Greebo said:
I know where you're coming from and I agree - although I think the volunteer group that's patrolling the border down there deserves a lot of credit.

But still, you've got to start closing the holes somewhere. If they can demonstrate that this works using the Canadian border, its a step in the right direction to applying it at the mexican border too, isn't it?

It is certainly better than nothing. Our borders with Canada are every bit as porous as the southern borders. But, I don't think the current administration, or future ones, will do anything about the southern ones without a lot of prodding. I note that the government has nothing good to say about the American citizens patrolling the borders right now, doing the job their tax dollars should be covering.

Joe Williams said:
It is certainly better than nothing. Our borders with Canada are every bit as porous as the southern borders. But, I don't think the current administration, or future ones, will do anything about the southern ones without a lot of prodding. I note that the government has nothing good to say about the American citizens patrolling the borders right now, doing the job their tax dollars should be covering.

I agree completely. it is outrageous and ridiculous. and the trickle down effect is ominous.

I've always carried one into and from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean anyway since it seems like things move faster that way.

Greebo said:

Even the birth certificate is, in the end, a non-issue. You can get a certified copy from the Bureau of Vital Records in the state of your birth very easily. Some states - including Virginia - have the site online. You just need to send/fax a photocopy of an ID & they will send you a certified copy in a matter of days.

I agree. The issue, though, is not (usually) the folks coming through the regular checkpoints, it's the ones that cross the border illegally.

I can't believe they are putting chips in passports. Before long they will be putting them in babies just watch

Maximus

maximus said:
I can't believe they are putting chips in passports. Before long they will be putting them in babies just watch

Maximus

They already are in Mexico. Supposedly to combat kidnapping. The service is offered for pets here, but I don't know if people are getting them yet.

Joe Williams said:
They already are in Mexico. Supposedly to combat kidnapping. The service is offered for pets here, but I don't know if people are getting them yet.

They are, Joe, they are. FOlks are getting pets implanted, and it's encouraged by some of the animal shelter folks.

And IIRC some employees of certain sensitive agencies in foreign countries are required to have the chips implanted. I think it was Italy, but it might have been the UK.

Back