Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
Does anyone have a passenger safety card that describes:
- how to evacuate the aircraft
- how to activate the ELT
- how to use a handheld radio (preset to 121.5)

Identifies the location of:
- fire extinguisher
- survival kit

Thanks
Marc

Yeah, but mine reads "If you need to read this, you're basically f**d."

No. But shouldn't be that difficult for you to create one on your own, right?

I have some text. Looking for graphics and other ideas.

I always brief anyone unfamiliar with flying, and make it clear that it is important to listen. Not sure of the utility of a card in a small plane.

I have some text. Looking for graphics and other ideas.

Perhaps these might help

funny-water-filled-lighter-kerosene-fluid-fuel-fire-spark.png

funny-style-points-artistic-impression-slide-jump.png

funny-exit-mile-high-position-hold-tight.png

funny-sacks-of-fish-food-aquarium-hungry-sharks-seafood.png

funny-cowboy-chaps-rustic-country-adventure-fantastic-dan.png

More available at www.airtoons.com

I always brief anyone unfamiliar with flying, and make it clear that it is important to listen. Not sure of the utility of a card in a small plane.

If I ever purchase an aircraft...

I want to install a 1" red button on the panel with no label. Make it obvious and enticing...

Hook it up to the intercom panel, so if pressed, the passenger hears the warning oh-oogah horn and a voice over "Passenger Ejection Sequence activated! Passenger will be ejected in 5....4...3...2...1"

Why not just talk to them? It's not a cattle car where the pax is sitting 50 feet behind you with 250 other people.
Handing them a card while they're sitting next to you is a bit demeaning and silly.

- how to evacuate the aircraft
Get out the way you came in, through the door beside you. Release latch, open door, get out, done. If that's jammed, kick the window out and go out that way.

- how to activate the ELT
Climb way back into the tailcone and flip the switch.

- how to use a handheld radio (preset to 121.5)
Get out your credit card and have them deliver it to the crash coordinates at xx N/S xxxE/W and tell them to have UPS/FEDEX bring rescue crews.

- fire extinguisher
point at it. Done.

- survival kit
back seat or cargo area obviously.

My 182 came with cards produced by Cessna. I looked at them and was not impressed, so when I have a new passenger I go through everything quite thouroughly, with someone who has flown with me, I give an abbreviated preflight briefing. I also try to let them take control of the yoke during flight if the conditions are appropriate.

Doug

There was a thread with some examples over on the red board...

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=84471&highlight=passenger+briefing

This bit on one of them cracked me up:

"During particularly rough off-airport landings, it may be advisable to assume a brace position , such as by bending over at the waist, putting your head between your knees, and covering your head, face, and upper body with a jacket or pillow if possible."

Can you imagine trying to flare and land with the person in the right seat bent over in this position?

[/FONT]Can you imagine trying to flare and land with the person in the right seat bent over in this position?
When one of my friends was in the flare I was praying and had my eyes closed. Let's just say I was glad to be back on the ground again.

To the OP - give them a good broad strokes of what to do in an emergency odds are in the emergency they won't remember and if you like them to fly with you may want to see if a CFI will give them the "basics" (ie Pinch Hitter) on flying your plane so they can feel comfortable. I know I know not alot of places have official Pinch Hitter courses but when I did the pinch hitter in the club airplanes the aviation bug bit me...it could be a good way to get more people into flying.

Seriously, if they get in to a situation where they have to read a card in flight, it should be titled "how to land an airplane."

Passenger briefing card is a good idea... informs them and keeps 'em busy while you do the pre-flight.
here's mine... I fold and laminate them... makes two cards.

Attachments

• CTSW passenger briefing revised 11-21-12.pdf
    388.7 KB · Views: 41
I use one - I'll have to look at it later and try to figure out where I got it, or see if I have a copy on my PC somewhere.

It's just a one-pager I leave in my kneeboard - I don't hand it to my pax, it's just a reminder to me of what to cover in a pax briefing. I don't want to overload anyone with a multipage document.

It uses the acronym SAFETY? - but I can't remember right now what each letter stands for:

S - seatbelts, explain how to use them, I also use this time to demonstrate the door latches, especially on Warriors. And sterile cockpit.
A - ?
F - fire extinguisher
E - emergency procedures
T - traffic, call out if you see something
Y - ?
? - any questions?

There is something in there, probably in the A or Y sections about where the air vents are and how to use them. I also take the time to tell the pax not to be shy about speaking up if they ever feel uncomfortable. I'd rather have the opportunity to grab a sick-sack before it's too late. It's interesting how some people who've never flown in a small plane will allow themselves to get uncomfortable, just because they think 'this must be normal in a small plane', and then don't say anything about it.

---

edit: I found what I have - I copied and cut out the last page:

http://www.ussportaircraft.com/documents/Passenger_Safety_Briefing.pdf

Last edited:
S - seatbelts, explain how to use them, I also use this time to demonstrate the door latches, especially on Warriors. And sterile cockpit.
A - ?
F - fire extinguisher
E - emergency procedures
T - traffic, call out if you see something
Y - ?
? - any questions?

A - Ass. It needs to get out the door fast and go A - way from the prop.

Y - If the thing is not on fire, come Yank my ass out too if I'm stuck.

LOL!

Back