Passenger Misconduct

And yet we still need to wear shirts and pants on airplanes and in public. I will assert boldly, and with no less (and probably no more) scientific certainty as this statement, that the risk of hyperthermia from having to wear a shirt and pants exceeds the risk of hypoxia or hypercapnia from wearing a cloth or N95 mask. We should be lamenting the dangerous need to wear shirts and pants - not a mask.

As my 3-star boss used to say in the Air Force: “Get over it - get on with it”

the few general officers I interacted with would not suffer such foolishness

The airlines are being rude enforcing this mask policy. As if it were the most important thing on earth. It has been illegal to board visibly intoxicated passengers FOR EVER yet no one really cares. They happily board people that pee themselves... It’s HARD to get thrown off a flight for ANYTHING other than something mask related.

I chucked a pax once because she couldn’t stand up... and got the “intimidating” call from the chief pilot office... The gate agent was afraid to chuck her, the flight attendants were afraid to chuck her... Geesh.

Actually enforcing consequence for not listening to crew member instructions is a new concept.

This entire phenomena has NOTHING to do with safety, this entire group of people are shoulder to shoulder in a restaurant immediately before boarding.

So....

1) the airlines created their own problem here. They’ve conditioned their own customer base.

2) this is a step in the right direction in general to deal with idiots though. I doubt it will last...

A Passenger Attempted to Rush the Cockpit in a Violent Incident on a JetBlue Flight

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/25/1040...kpit-in-violent-altercation-on-jetblue-flight

Excerpt:

...According to the FBI's affidavit, a flight attendant initially stopped the man from entering the galley by confining him to an area in front of the first row of seating on the plane.

Witnesses said that as the flight attendant worked to restrain him, the man became aware that a flight crew officer had opened the cockpit door and, in response, he began to kick and punch the flight attendant trying to hold him back. He also began choking the flight attendant by his tie.

The FBI report details that the flight attendant let go of the man to avoid asphyxiating but grabbed him again before he got to the galley.

The man was then restrained by six or seven crew members, using "makeshift restraints," including the flight attendant's tie, according to the FBI affidavit.

For the rest of the flight, he was moved to a back seat of the plane and handcuffed with flex cuffs and held by seat belt extenders....​

A Passenger Attempted to Rush the Cockpit in a Violent Incident on a JetBlue Flight

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/25/1040...kpit-in-violent-altercation-on-jetblue-flight

Excerpt:

...According to the FBI's affidavit, a flight attendant initially stopped the man from entering the galley by confining him to an area in front of the first row of seating on the plane.

Witnesses said that as the flight attendant worked to restrain him, the man became aware that a flight crew officer had opened the cockpit door and, in response, he began to kick and punch the flight attendant trying to hold him back. He also began choking the flight attendant by his tie.

The FBI report details that the flight attendant let go of the man to avoid asphyxiating but grabbed him again before he got to the galley.

The man was then restrained by six or seven crew members, using "makeshift restraints," including the flight attendant's tie, according to the FBI affidavit.

For the rest of the flight, he was moved to a back seat of the plane and handcuffed with flex cuffs and held by seat belt extenders....​

Any Alpha Hotel that tries that nonsense on a flight that I’m on will arrive at the gate with a significantly different appearance than they departed with.

It's a shame we can't make them walk the plank.

As much as I hate the fact that flying on an airline means wearing a mask for so freaking long, when you check in, you promise to do so. Therefore, I think the pilots and FAs should literally do as they say they will in their briefings. They say that if you will not wear your mask properly/behave like an adult, they will have to remove you from the plane. If they would just open a door or window and push the pax out midflight, they wouldn't have to deal with anyone trying to choke them or rush the cockpit. Problem solved! :D

As much as I hate the fact that flying on an airline means wearing a mask for so freaking long, when you check in, you promise to do so. Therefore, I think the pilots and FAs should literally do as they say they will in their briefings. They say that if you will not wear your mask properly/behave like an adult, they will have to remove you from the plane. If they would just open a door or window and push the pax out midflight, they wouldn't have to deal with anyone trying to choke them or rush the cockpit. Problem solved! :D

Come on, get real. That's going to throw all the other passengers into mass confusion when the oxygen masks drop and they don't know whether to take off what they wearing and put on the new mask or just put the oxygen mask over what they have. Plus all that wind and noise and inevitably landing short.

Don't inconvenience the good passengers. Tape their hands behind their backs and buckle them into a seat on the back of the plane. Then when you're on the ground, have every stay seated and let the po-po frog march them through the plane for processing up in front of the check in desk.

Come on, get real. That's going to throw all the other passengers into mass confusion when the oxygen masks drop and they don't know whether to take off what they wearing and put on the new mask or just put the oxygen mask over what they have. Plus all that wind and noise and inevitably landing short.

I have to wonder if this issue has come up yet since the pandemic. I know the one time I have flown, their briefing was updated to include removing your face mask to don the oxygen mask, but who listens to briefings anyway? I can only imagine some piece of self loading cargo with their oxygen masks over their other mask.

Honestly if the aircraft descends fast enough after a depressurization, how critical is it for the passenger to get a mask on? They should be below 12,000 feet in just a few minutes.

I have to wonder if this issue has come up yet since the pandemic. I know the one time I have flown, their briefing was updated to include removing your face mask to don the oxygen mask, but who listens to briefings anyway? I can only imagine some piece of self loading cargo with their oxygen masks over their other mask.

Honestly if the aircraft descends fast enough after a depressurization, how critical is it for the passenger to get a mask on? They should be below 12,000 feet in just a few minutes.

I always thought the oxygen masks were just to give the pax something to do as they plunge to their deaths.

I think the masks exacerbated it, but I don't think it originated there. We've had unruly passengers and even not unruly ones yanked off planes for years. There's the guy who was bumped out of his seat and dragged off United and the pilot who booted the US Air black passenger for having saggy pants (though the airline let the guy fly in scanty lingerie). It has happened that beligerant drunks have been dealt with (usually after the FA refuses to serve them more).

Back