Passenger Brief

"If you *can* get out you don't need to and if you *need* to get out you can't. Any questions?"

Nauga,
in the belly of the Whale

Sounds sorta like the news report about the C152 that crashed in a cemetery just outside of College Station. Last I had heard, the rescue squad from Texas A&M had recovered over 97 bodies and counting.

Where did they bury the survivors...???

For first-timers, I always go through SAFETY (at least an abbreviated version not to overwhelm them). I'll adjust as needed for other or recurring pax. I've discovered that this briefing covers the important issues, isn't overwhelming, doesn't scare them, and make them feel comfortable enough to continue asking questions throughout the flight.

S
Seats (how to adjust, ensure they're locked, what to do in case it moves)
Seatbelts (how to adjust and operate)

A
Air (heat/cool and vents)
Airsickness (I use the 1-10 scale, people usually start out at 10 and as soon as that number leaves 10, it's time to turn around. You can only get more airsick, you will never recover during flight)

F
Fire extinguisher

E
Egress (how to open/close the door, which direction to go - away from the prop - when exiting during an emergency)
Equipment (how to use, if applicable)

T
Talking (none during takeoff/landing, pause when I tell you because I'll be in communication on the radio)
Traffic (always let me know if you see another aircraft or if something doesn't seem right, even during takeoff and landing)

Y
Your questions before we go?
Feel free to ask all your questions throughout the flight when I start talking to you after takeoff

I don't say anything. In fact I don't even provide them with a head set because I don't want to hear it!

I end my briefing by saying, "Now, if I can remember what all these knobs and switches are for, we're all set!"

I also point out that my airplane was built by the lowest bidder......ME! This while I'm looking at them with a crazed look on my face.

Before I get flamed for ruining the image of home builders and aviation of all types, I only do this with people that are very familiar with me and know (and yes anticipate) that I am pulling their leg.

"If you hear me inadvertently utter "crap" or " whoops" over the headset...do not be alarmed...if you hear me utter "Uh-Oh" out loud...THEN you can be alarmed!"

Maybe I missed it, or will learn it in ground school still, but one things I'd like a deeper understanding of is the emergency procedure for forced landing.

Specifically, how one "braces" or instructs passengers to brace for impact. I am just guessing that it would depend a little if one has "star" type seat belts, or the ones more like in automobiles.

How would you instruct a front seat, back seat passengers to brace on a forced landing?
Further, the pilot has to still control the plane all the way down, but is there a point where the pilot would be able to protect themsekves a little also?
Are common injuries the front seat people hitting the yoke with their head?

Maybe I missed it, or will learn it in ground school still, but one things I'd like a deeper understanding of is the emergency procedure for forced landing.

Specifically, how one "braces" or instructs passengers to brace for impact. I am just guessing that it would depend a little if one has "star" type seat belts, or the ones more like in automobiles.

How would you instruct a front seat, back seat passengers to brace on a forced landing?
Further, the pilot has to still control the plane all the way down, but is there a point where the pilot would be able to protect themsekves a little also?
Are common injuries the front seat people hitting the yoke with their head?
Think there is a king video on that, for pilots, rt before touchdown get a jacket , fold it up, and put on the yoke between ur chest and the yoke, rt before touchdown.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Or just lap belts!

Lap belts: you're pretty hosed. The slowest landings are at about 40 mph. Try and stop 100 pounds of meat going 40 mph sometime. Physics are against you.

Anything else: snugging up your shoulder restraints is the single most important thing you can do. After that's done if you want to put a jacket or something in front of you to stop projectiles from hitting your face, then have at it. But sitting straight up and snugging those belts is the most important thing.

Back