Passed Written, finally.

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
After just being lazy in taking the test i have finally passed the IFR written with a 92. Plus the fates apparently did not want me to take this test. I showed up on time at the test center, and the school forgot to call the proctor, so she was 45 minutes late, but no hard feelings. She was doing me a favor this week anyway. We go to finalize the test setup, and CATS neglected to send her the new supplement that became effective on Monday.

It took her about 5 calls to other centers to find one with both the new book and a proctor. Go to the new test site 40 minutes away. Then it takes 20 minutes for CATS to sort out the location change. But, I finally passed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congratulations on the pass. I think 92 was also my score, on both tries.

I'm going through all nine hundred something questions on King right now...think I'm gonna go through them all at least twice and then take the practice tests a bunch of times. Hopefully I will be prepared then.

cool. what did u use to study?

I used King's, ASA Test Prep, and ASA Instrument flying. Be warned. As said, a new supplement was just issued, there is some new stuff in there. The bank of questions has also changed from what Kings (or any other course) has available. I went through all 900 plus questions, and only outright recognized about 1/3 of the questions I got on my test. While on my private about 3 years ago I recognized virtually all of them. Know the material, you will see new stuff. As usual, several I got wrong were based on too precise FAA wording, or them being very nit picky.

I used King's, ASA Test Prep, and ASA Instrument flying. Be warned. As said, a new supplement was just issued, there is some new stuff in there. The bank of questions has also changed from what Kings (or any other course) has available. I went through all 900 plus questions, and only outright recognized about 1/3 of the questions I got on my test. While on my private about 3 years ago I recognized virtually all of them. Know the material, you will see new stuff. As usual, several I got wrong were based on too precise FAA wording, or them being very nit picky.

Yea I figured that would be the case. Maybe it would be worth going through the Sheppard Air course in addition to the King course.

As usual, several I got wrong were based on too precise FAA wording, or them being very nit picky.
I got one like that. It should have been a straightforward six-in-six question, but none of the answers looked correct, so I picked the one that looked the least incorrect. Incorrectly, apparently.

I got one like that. It should have been a straightforward six-in-six question, but none of the answers looked correct, so I picked the one that looked the least incorrect. Incorrectly, apparently.
Oooh. That sounds like one that I got. If it's the one I am thinking of, I am pretty certain that NONE of the answers is correct, and the wording of at least two of them was obviously intended to confuse (using vague jargon like "the required iterations and repetitions" and suchlike).

I think the gist of the one I'm thinking about was whether a pilot would be legally current for IFR flight on a given date, with various combinations of approaches/holds/nav tracking over the previous months given in the possible answers. Except the wording was so horrible that it was impossible to be sure what tasks were performed when in several of the scenarios.

Is it still a 60 question test with the ACS?

Congrats I am trying to find a job so that I can knock out the rest of my IR training and pass the checkride before my test expires so I don't have to retake it again.

Back