Passed My Instrument Written

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
I had my third instrument lesson today (ended up being my first lesson in the ATD/sim due to winds and wx). Also took my written and I got a 97! Looks like I studied way too hard. Now I need to get my Checkride complete in the next 2 years!

I had my third instrument lesson today (ended up being my first lesson in the ATD/sim due to winds and wx). Also took my written and I got a 97! Looks like I studied way too hard. Now I need to get my Checkride complete in the next 2 years!

Congratulations!
Yep. Get in done before you have to take it again...like I am.

What did you use to study?

Congrats! It's good that you knocked the written out early. Now you can focus on flying.

Congratulations, that is a great score. I did mine last weekend and got 92. D'oh! Already addressed the failed areas.
Now I need to start training but just as the weather turned VFR, my Cherokee lost a mag. Fortunately I was close to an airport and they are already overhauling it. Should be ready next week.

Good luck with your training and have fun!

Hi Wayne. Good move. The thought of having to take the written again pushed me to finish up the IR just before the two years ran out! :)

Way to go! Didn't study too hard, FAA tests are not ones you want to min run. Could help you in the oral if he sees a higher score(YMMV). Good choice going with Sheppard Air.

Way to go! Didn't study too hard, FAA tests are not ones you want to min run. Could help you in the oral if he sees a higher score(YMMV). Good choice going with Sheppard Air.

Yea I really liked sheppard air and will use them again if I can for additional ratings down the road. I would 100% recommend going this route to anyone else. Best $40 I ever spent on anything related to flying. I really liked their technique and study strategy.

Yea I really liked sheppard air and will use them again if I can for additional ratings down the road. I would 100% recommend going this route to anyone else. Best $40 I ever spent on anything related to flying. I really liked their technique and study strategy.

Can you expand on what you get with it and how it works?

Is Shepperd just a study strategy to pass the test by seeing all the questions or is it an actual teaching tool? What other tool/books, etc. did you study?I have a Gleim IFR kit I'm currently studying but I think I'd find Shepperd useful really getting me ready for the test (although I found Gleim's practice tests were dead on when I took my PPL written).

Also, how long did it take you from start to finish to go take the test?

I'm ready to get it out of the way and in the plane training.

Last edited:
Can you expand on what you get with it and how it works?

Is Shepperd just a study strategy to pass the test by seeing all the questions or is it an actual teaching tool? What other tool/books, etc. did you study?I have a Gleim IFR kit I'm currently studying but I think I'd find Shepperd useful really getting me ready for the test (although I found Gleim's practice tests were dead on when I took my PPL written).

Also, how long did it take you from start to finish to go take the test?

I'm ready to get it out of the way and in the plane training.

As far as study strategy vs tool, it's a bit of both. You can download a sample program first to get an idea of the program.

http://sheppardair.com/free-trial.htm

There is not any instruction outside of the questions though. It really is geared toward passing the test, and they have some good methods and tricks to help you get there. I skipped over some of the memorization tricks on questions I could easily figure out, but used the memorization tricks on some of the other questions. Each question has an explanation so you can dive in to gain an understanding of the why. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try to answer.

I just looked and I purchased the software on 2/20 so I studied a little over a month. Usually 30-40 minutes at night, maybe 3-4 times a week. Toward the end I started studying more to get close to knocking the test out. The only other studying I did was watching a bunch of YouTube videos that helped me understand approach plates.

Last edited:
Back