Passed my FAA written exam today

tonyholland00

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tony Holland
Sorry for the gloating but am very happy to be done with that part of my Private ticket.

90% passing score, but like my boss said when I came back into the office, he prefers pilots who score 100%.

Sorry for the gloating but am very happy to be done with that part of my Private ticket.

90% passing score, but like my boss said when I came back into the office, he prefers pilots who score 100%.

Good job Tony! When I did my checkride two weeks ago, the examiner looked at my score and exclaimed to my instructor "a ninety! I don't think either of us could make a ninety!"

Keep your head in all that information right through to the checkride.

Congrats. I remember sweating the written, and being so relieved when I passed.

Now it is time to fly.

90% is the perfect score. Since many of the questions are so poorly written the only people that get 100% are those that memorize the answers. Those that actually study the material and answer the questions based on the knowledge they have will typically get about 90%. Just my opinion though.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

90% is the perfect score. Since many of the questions are so poorly written the only people that get 100% are those that memorize the answers. Those that actually study the material and answer the questions based on the knowledge they have will typically get about 90%. Just my opinion though.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Wow Brian, you're making me feel smart! I made a 90 on the written 20 years ago when I trained then and then made a 90 when I took up flying again this past Spring.

I am indeed a LOUSY memorizer. I'm an Engineer and learn things based on concepts and principles. If it's not something that I can understand, I don't remember it well.

Wow Brian, you're making me feel smart! I made a 90 on the written 20 years ago when I trained then and then made a 90 when I took up flying again this past Spring.

I am indeed a LOUSY memorizer. I'm an Engineer and learn things based on concepts and principles. If it's not something that I can understand, I don't remember it well.

Same reason for me, The only question I missed was about seat belt rules. I fly a cherokee with lap belts, they go on before I start the engine and come off when I shut down. Couldn't memorize all the rules about in motion on the ground, climb, cruise, decent, crew, passengers, to shoulder belt or not etc... If I ever have a need for any of that, I'll look it up before I go. Congrats on passing it, nice to get out of the way and focus on the practical.

Congrats! I made a 78 on both my writtens, don't sweat the score - both checkrides I've taken the DPE barely looked at it.

Last edited:
Same reason for me, The only question I missed was about seat belt rules. I fly a cherokee with lap belts, they go on before I start the engine and come off when I shut down. Couldn't memorize all the rules about in motion on the ground, climb, cruise, decent, crew, passengers, to shoulder belt or not etc... If I ever have a need for any of that, I'll look it up before I go. Congrats on passing it, nice to get out of the way and focus on the practical.

This is another example of a rule that memorize for the test and throw away. When my DPE on my oral asked about drinking, I told him 'this is a guess, because I don't drink, so I don't care about that part...' Not sure he cared either.

Good going. I studied for days, took a weekend prep class then took the test the evening the test prep class was over and got a 93. Then it expired before I could pass the oral and checkride. So I took it again without the test prep and got a 90.

Congrats!

Just remember to keep studying the information up to check ride day! I only got a 72% on my written ....but the oral was a breeze ( maybe I'm just odd like that?)

Congratulations! I thought I failed but I got somewhere between 93-97 (I forget since now it doesn't matter). I used those cheesy John and Martha King Videos as my "ground school" but of course my instructor taught me ground stuff too.

That's kind of a dumb question IMHO. The effect of detonation and preignition is the same, engine damage. The key to remembering is the "pre" is indicating that combustion occurs PRE spark.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I took the written twice. Once when I was 17 years old and again when I was 34 years old (just before I finally completed flight training) Being in the service for those years in between made it hard, financially, to complete the training. I made 80 something the first time and 100% the second time. Anyway, I didn't memorize the questions, but I did notice that the questions were all the same, just presented in different ways. Once you nail the concepts the questions aren't that bad. Even the poorly written ones can be answered once you understand what they are looking for. That said, its been 23 years ago so things might have changed.

Congrats!
I was talking to 2 CFIs the other day, both been flying for 60 years. They said "It was about 20 questions of True/False and the examiner told you to fix your mistakes, then sent it to OKC then you had to wait 2 months".

It took me about 2 months of not flying to study for the PPL written - I got a 100%

I spent probably 5 months studying for the IR written, I got 92%

For the commercial, I decided - no more then a month. Score doesn't matter as long as you pass.

From what I hear ninety percent is still pretty good. congrats dude! I'm getting ready to take mine in the next few weeks.

Back