Passed my checkride

Chris Hodgson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I have been lerking here for a while and I thought I would relate my experances getting my pilots licence, as I took a differant approch than any I have read here. I have wanted to get my pilots licence ever since I washed a P-51 when I was in high school - my first paying job BTW. As with many; life got in the way with wife, house, kids etc.and I never got around to flying. On my 60th birthday a friend suggested I should get to it sooner than later as there would be a time in the not too distant future when it would be to late...
So after looking over what was available in the used market I bought a Grumman Tiger and had it delivered to my hanger by the former owner. We have a customer who is a senior pilot at one of the major airlines and a CFI - I called him up and asked him to teach me to fly. Notice I said “teach me to fly” nothing about getting my licence, no time or financial limits; just make me safe an confident. So, I know you want to know - how long did it take? 1 year, almost to the day - my first flight to my checkride. Time? 151.4 hours, 74 instruction the rest PIC. 472 landings. Events? Got lost for 10 minutes on one of my solo cross countrys, popped a tire practing short field landing 2 days before the checkride, needed the instructor to take over controls on a early strong crosswind landing. I never rushed anything, he had to push me to solo after 30 hours. Every flight with him was a learning experance and I look forward to more in the future as I plan on get my instrment rating in a year or so.
Hearing my wife say “my husband is a pilot” Priceless...

Chris,
Congratulations!

151 hours, in 1 year. You were enjoying yourself for sure :) It is nice seeing someone flying because it is fun, and not worrying about that piece of plastic.

It sounds like you has a fun year. Congrats! Good luck on your instrument training. They say the instrument rating is the hardest and I believe that. I spent a few years with four different instructors before I finished mine.

Congrats : now go out and have fun,really enjoyed my instrument training ,loved the challenge.

Great Job! My dad in his 60's, is looking to get his. I'll pass along this post to encourage him.

Back