Passed my checkride, I'm a Sport Pilot!

bullwinkle

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bullwinkle
Passed on Monday after nine intensive days of training at Lockwood Aviation in Sebring, FL (in addition to my previous 20hrs). The checkride went very well, the DPE said I did well and was well prepared.

w00t!

That is awesome Bullwinkle! Congratulations!

I am not sure, but is he the first person on PoA to pass a SP checkride (besides Jay's CFI-SP?)

Here's me and the Tecnam p-92 Echo Super I have been flying:

Sebring096.jpg

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a Sport Pilot certificate out of this hat...

Congratulations!

Orange you glad you just skipped the Thrid Class and got on with your life?

That's great, man! See? Sport Pilot is Sport PILOT!!! :D

Give us a check-ride write-up!! ;)

Cool beans- congrats! that's a cool-looking little airplane, BTW. Heard a lot of good things about them.

Give us a check-ride write-up!! ;)

It was actually pretty uneventful. It was all the standard checkride maneuvers...steep turns, power off stall, power on stall, ground reference maneuver (rectangular pattern...the only one my instructor and I didn't bother to practice), soft field and short field takeoffs and landings, etc. The only bit of trouble came when the DPE said:

"Okay, now there is a 50ft obstacle at the approach end of the runway, show me what you would do..."

Doh! We did short field landings, but not with an approach over an obstacle. As I came around the base leg I saw I was quite high, so I did a go around (which worked nicely as it gave me more time to think)... I didn't know the correct procedure, so I had to improvise. On the base I kept the altitude a bit high, then on final I put it into a very aggressive slip and landed just past the numbers. He didn't say anything, so I got by with it.

Later the DPE said he didn't think his last few examinees could have done that, but my pilot skills were strong enough that I pulled it off, even though it was not the "accepted" technique. That made me feel good, if a little lame for not knowing the proper way to do it (which I have since learned).

Other than that there was no drama, and the DPE said I did a really good job, and he thought my flight planning and oral were very detailed and well executed. :smile:

"Okay, now there is a 50ft obstacle at the approach end of the runway, show me what you would do..."

I like your technique better. It probably works more reliably in a pinch too.

FWIW, I never did any training on that either, but had to figure a way to do it when I went to 6Y9. I just approached really shallow and slipped when I got just past the trees.

Good job, Pilot. Commit aviation frequently!

I like your technique better. It probably works more reliably in a pinch too.

FWIW, I never did any training on that either, but had to figure a way to do it when I went to 6Y9. I just approached really shallow and slipped when I got just past the trees.

The expected technique was to approach shallow as you said, then cut power and sink it in when you are past the obstacle. Probably takes a little less work than the slip method, but seems like a preference thing in the end.

Back