Passed... IR Written

wpierce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wpierce
As I was finishing up I was thinking hay I might make in the 90's on this thing, it just felt like I knew all the answers.

Well let's just say that I passed by the skin of my teeth. But you know what they call a doctor, lawyer, etc. that finishes at the bottom of the class...
biggrin.gif

At least that hurdle is out of the way
bravo.gif
bravo.gif
bravo.gif

congrats wayne.

btw i passed my IR written by one question. 71%!

As I was finishing up I was thinking hay I might make in the 90's on this thing, it just felt like I knew all the answers.

Well let's just say that I passed by the skin of my teeth. But you know what they call a doctor, lawyer, etc. that finishes at the bottom of the class...
biggrin.gif
Congratulations, Wayne!!! Yay! :cheerswine:

Last weekend may not have been much fun, but I'm sure you learned a lot and now you're over that hurdle. :)

Good job, Wayne! I enjoyed my IFR flying. I am well out of currency, but it was worth the adventure!:)

Congrats.

I've never read an NTSB report where the accident pilot's IR written score was discussed...

Trapper John

Thank goodness I studied as hard as I did, but I've never been accused of showing off. :D

I went back and looked at what questions I missed and a few were just mis-reading, I hate that. One that I feel real bad about was the one about figuring out CAS with a temp of +5 at 8000 ft. I misread it and did it on -5. I had one cross country fuel reserve question that I had to use 6 different figures for how long I could hold at the first airport before I had to leave for the alternate and NO WRITING IN THE BOOK that one I was doomed on before I even started.

Thanks for the kind words. It does feel like an elephant has stepped off my back. Now I can concentrate on the flying portion. I'm a little anxious about the little discussion (oral portion) with the DPE before the test flight, now.

I'm a little anxious about the little discussion (oral portion) with the DPE before the test flight, now.

If you need a confidence boost for the oral, invest in one of the Oral Exam Guides, then use it to practice (I had my wife ask me questions and I would answer -- didn't have to be word-for-word -- just drop in the key points).

I'm a little anxious about the little discussion (oral portion) with the DPE before the test flight, now.
Wayne, one of the things I did before my instrument check ride was watching the King video about the instrument check ride and a lot of it was about the oral. It helped me a LOT to watch that (over and over).

Wayne, one of the things I did before my instrument check ride was watching the King video about the instrument check ride and a lot of it was about the oral. It helped me a LOT to watch that (over and over).

I actually have that video, from when I got the "Get It All" IR kit, I'll have to blow the dust off of it and start it up again.

Best thing you can do is review the codes for the answers you got wrong. Guaranteed a DPE will hit you on them. Just figure it out. Answer the question. The DPE just wants to know if you bothered to find out what you didn't know. If you don't bother, it'll be a long oral.

I've already gone through the ones I missed. Some where stupid like CAS with -5 instead of what the question asked +5 at 8000 feet, some where holding patterns that were extremely close to the line. One was fuel available for holding before I had to fly to the alternate and one was just flat out missed of how much fuel I would have to have to fly to an airport with 3,000 celings and 3 mile vis. If I can get my head in the game I should be alright.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've already gone through the ones I missed. Some where stupid like CAS with -5 instead of what the question asked +5 at 8000 feet, some where holding patterns that were extremely close to the line. One was fuel available for holding before I had to fly to the alternate and one was just flat out missed of how much fuel I would have to have to fly to an airport with 3,000 celings and 3 mile vis. If I can get my head in the game I should be alright.

Thanks for the encouragement.

IMHO, your average DPE will be most interested in your ability to answer that last one, and won't give a fig about CAS values.

Actual CFIIs may want to chime in with their opinions....

Best thing you can do is review the codes for the answers you got wrong. Guaranteed a DPE will hit you on them. Just figure it out. Answer the question. The DPE just wants to know if you bothered to find out what you didn't know. If you don't bother, it'll be a long oral.

Or a really short one! :eek:

Back