Passed IR Practical

jxdrl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jonathan
So, I dont post often at all but spend a fair bit of time reading all of the threads. Anyways, on Friday the 13th, I took the instrument rating airplane checkride and passed.

The oral took 1.5 and the flying was 1.6 on the Hobbs. We started out with the cross country and went less than 10 miles before receiving instructions for a hold at LESSY from "Frazier Approach" (Dave Frazier was the DPE). We then did the airwork - timed/compass turns, rate c/d, constant a/s c/d, and unusual attitudes. Then, we turned back towards KJXN for the approaches we talked about on the ground (ILS 24, RNAV 6, and VOR 14). I flew well enough but my typical problems of altitude and wind correction were what he noticed.

Funny that I flew the night before in a 172SP (Checkride was an R model) and noticed from previous flights in the SP compared to the R that the trim wheel stays on the arrow and barely requires a touch after leveling off vs. the R needing a half turn or more that I end up playing with for most of the flight. Oh well...

Last edited:
Frazier Approach? I like that!

Congratulations. That IR is worth it's weight in gold. Well, more than that. You'll see.

It was more of a joke when we he was briefing how he was going to give instructions on the CAVU day before we talked to approach for the approaches. We didnt really use it though. Fun anyway.

Anyways, on Friday the 13th, I took the instrument rating airplane checkride and passed.
Congratulations! That's one of the most significant rides you ever take -- it lets you in to play with the pros.
We then did the airwork - timed/compass turns, rate c/d, constant a/s c/d,
Interesting -- that stuff was dropped from the IR PTS five years ago.

Enjoy your new privileges!

Ron,
I noticed that you said that before when someone else was talking about their checkride. It didnt bother me since I've done them before. Now that I think about it, it seemed to be a pre-check for the approaches. He said go to your approach speed and then to descend to an altitude and turn to a heading - this set us up to head back towards the airport while we were getting the approach requests in. We did do a couple compass only turns and then a timed turn. We didnt do the rate stuff now that I think about it. I guess it all depends on what the DPE is looking for in regards to control of the airplane.

Congratulations, Jonathan!

I apprecitae your letting us know and the overview of the ride. I just started instrument training and am thoroughly enjoying it. Enjoy and fly safely.

- Jim

Congratulations. I tell my non-pilot friends that it's like a "masters" degree for flying. Now, to stay current.

Back