Passed Instrument Written test!

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Finally! Overstudied by 13 points. Took 3 times to do it but I did it. What a load off my shoulders. Now I can focus on flying the plane. Very excited. My advice to other people? Start studying early and get the written out of the way. Gleim/King Schools/Sheppard Air has the majority of new questions but definetly not all of them.

I prefer using the CATS as well. Used LaserGrade last time and it's very dated. The new supplement book they sent out starting on Monday was nice approach charts expired end of last year (Instead of 1998 like the other book)

Congrats!

I thought CATS was the dated one (like really dated, from the 80s). Have they revamped it? What's it like now? :confused:

CATS is amazing! Updated looks like it was written in 2010! :) Lasergrade looks like 80's.

Gleim King or Sportys course. Which would your recommend?

Gleim King or Sportys course. Which would your recommend?

For the test taking... save the money and go with SheppardAir... very reasonable cost and does a top job getting the information crammed into your grey matter.

Then the free FAA textbooks would work for the general knowledge you need before you dig in with an instructor.

Pay for books worth having include the authors Bob Gardner (member here), Peter Dogan, Rod Machado, Richard Taylor, Robert Buck, and some others.

I'm a King Schools kind of girl personally and did buy into Sheppard Air (since it was only $40) and was not a fan at all of it. I want to learn concepts of IR flying especially with the new questions they ask.

Where can I get that new testing supplement other than downloading? Is it out?

The new supplement isn't published for the general public. Sheppard Air is paying for you to memorize the questions that use the new supplement so they can duplicate it. Personally I didn't choose to pay that close attention to the question and my memory sucks.

Congrats,the flying is the fun part. Enjoy

I forgot earlier,

Congrats!!

Congrats,the flying is the fun part. Enjoy

For shizzle! Love the flying part. Reading through the Oral prep guy (even though one of the clubs CFII's say not to let the DPE see it since it opens up the fields of questions) I'm starting to freak out about that part...fortunately I know the DPE and I know he doesn't make it impossible to pass the Oral. Our club has weekly maintenance nights to be sure nothing broke (We have an A&P come out voluntarily to assist if we need anything signed off) and I'm going to brush up on the mechanics of the planes.

So do you have all the requirements for the checkride completed?

Yup everything was done before I did the written. Foolish on my part. But I almost was burned with the PPL (I did the written WAY early) and then life got in the way and my written was going to expire in 4 months when I got my certificate. When I started IR I decided not to do it early and so I got all the requirements in then studied for the written. So when this weather cooperates enough we'll go up and see how rusty I got.

Well good luck on the weather. It is started to feel a little bit like spring here.

Doing my written next weekend. Doing a weekend course and test after.

Back