Passed Checkride!!! Now deciding between Renting DA40 G1000 or Cirrus SR20 G6

Sure, the fold-out table is sorta kewl, and they fly ("flight"?) like nothing else. The double doors allow removal of the rear seats and enough room for a high-boy dresser, a 58 gal aquarium, or a huge dining table with leaves. As for "obsession", show me comparable performance (range, speed, useful load, runway performance, etc.) the Bonanzas have set the bar and everything else is measured against them. Thanks for bringing an objective feature (cabin dimensions) to the table...the Cirrus may be superior here, but let's balance the rest of the performance, too. I am a convinced Bonanza enthusiast with a thousand hours in an F33A and an A36, and I'm hard-pressed to find any aircraft with a balance of compromises that ever suit me better. YMMV. Corona's acting-up...gotta puke.
o
Took some non pilot friends in a Cirrus for a camping trip, one of the other planes that was there was a really nice A36.. they were impressed by it

But it's not the end-all, be all, and neither should Cirrus. The bar was set, and I lament that GA has died to the point where there's really nothing left to choose from.. other than $1,000,000 for brand new Bonanza, Mooney (?), or Cirrus..

You’re renting not buying, fly them both until you settle on one.

By the way, If you haven’t figured it out by now, the way you worded your post makes it sound like you are buying. That’s why many are answering that way.

interesting...so composites carry higher insurance rates?

When shopping for a plane, I got several quotes for different planes as part of the research on annual costs. The rates per thousand dollars of hull insurance were much higher for DA40 and Cirrus SR-20 verses spam can Cessna's or Pipers.

I spoke to an underwriter about the difference. He said composites are more expensive to repair and require specialized training, and the other factors like the surface can look unblemished with unseen damage underneath; or improper repairs made without detection increasing liability risk the insurance company price uplifts as an offset.

He said aluminum repairs are well known, lots of qualified facilities, and preflight repair inspections are much easier with better access to an affected area. He said something else about gel coating over old damage a shop thought was a non-issue, but not really. Also something about Diamond's susceptibility to hangar rash due to the longer wings seeing more claims.

This is just what I was told, but seemed to make sense.

Took some non pilot friends in a Cirrus for a camping trip, one of the other planes that was there was a really nice A36.. they were impressed by it

But it's not the end-all, be all, and neither should Cirrus. The bar was set, and I lament that GA has died to the point where there's really nothing left to choose from.. other than $1,000,000 for brand new Bonanza, Mooney (?), or Cirrus..

You are right; we agree far more than disagree -- I allow any pilot/owner to choose his/her compromise (and all aircraft are compromises). My point, simply, is that vintage Bonanzas represent value if the total mission-readiness is considered when compared to other aircraft. We have no serious ****ing-match. and I have nothing to prove...just my nsho, that's all. Be blessed

Back