parts for Lycoming O-290-D2

Dustin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sticks
I am looking at the 1953 Piper Tri-Pacer, 135 HP. I talked to the owner and he said the engine has 822 hours SMOH in 1962. Time for another overhaul due to calendar time.

About how much should I plan to spend overhauling it myself? Parts and such. Where would you advise me to shop for the parts?

As always thank you.

I don't want to discourage you but when I was plane shopping, I looked at a Yankee with this engine. The airplane was nice but when I did some research, several people told me that this engine would be difficult to find parts for. I never talked to the Lycoming folks, these were just comments from people who supposedly were familiar with the engine. I would keep my eyes open and start collecting parts for the inevitable overhaul but I would continue to fly it "on condition" and not take it out of service to do the overhaul just because it was past the calendar limit--doing so might ground you for some time.

Tim

hey dustin!

the O-290 has not been supported by lycoming for decades. it is an ok engine as long as you fly it regularly and maintain it as you would any other a/c engine.

the rub will come when it's time for cylinder work or major overhaul. with no factory support, you will be looking for surplus parts stocks and they are getting more scarce and more expensive every day.

you can use the "orphaned" engine as a bargaining chip and hopefully aquire the a/c for a very friendly price. then the expense of the ovh won't hurt so bad.

the other option is to fly it out and start saving for a conversion to the O-320.

hope this helps!

Dustin said:
I am looking at the 1953 Piper Tri-Pacer, 135 HP. I talked to the owner and he said the engine has 822 hours SMOH in 1962. Time for another overhaul due to calendar time.

About how much should I plan to spend overhauling it myself? Parts and such. Where would you advise me to shop for the parts?

As always thank you.

I'm wondering why one would overhaul a good runing engine?

NC19143 said:
I'm wondering why one would overhaul a good runing engine?

edit: This is on a project stripped down to the frame, don't know how long it has been in storage.

I don't know if it is a good running engine. It is an unknown, been sitting I don't know how long. I am just trying to figure worse case scene.

Actually, I may pass on this plane. The radios are old 360s, no transponder, needs a lot of work, though it would be an excellent project. I just don't have enough money to get it done. I am going to keep looking for something that is airworthy with the panel I want (VFR is ok) and good radios. It would be a candidate for a restoration in the future, but right now I would like to fly for a while. :goofy:

Thanks for the responses all. If anyone hears of an ercoupe, champ, tri-pacer, or something else similar to one of these, let me know. Up to $16,000.

Last edited:
Back