Partners in a homebuilt

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Is a partnership in a homebuilt common? I'm speculating that 2 partners could do a build together and be able to finish a project somewhat faster (calendar time) than one. However, I could see all kinds of pitfalls as well - who's garage does it start out life in, etc. Who would be eligible for the repairman's certificate? Could it be issued to both partners if they performed the work together?
Any stories out there to share on this topic?

Last edited:
There are many, many cases in which two "partners" buy two identical kits and work on them together.

I have seen amateur-built partnerships that have as many as eight folks as official partners, with others helping along the way. I can't answer the question of who gets the repairman certificate -- or if multiple repairman certificates are possible -- but everything else depends on the folks involved.

Ken Ibold said:
I can't answer the question of who gets the repairman certificate -- or if multiple repairman certificates are possible -- but everything else depends on the folks involved.
Only one repairman certificate can be issued, and it is issued to an individual (not a partnership or corporation). It is not transferable. It's just one of the things that must be worked out before hand for the partnership to work.

Chip

gibbons said:
Only one repairman certificate can be issued, and it is issued to an individual (not a partnership or corporation). It is not transferable. It's just one of the things that must be worked out before hand for the partnership to work.

Chip

This exact issue came up recently with the Rag Tag Airforce I fly with... I'll find out what they did to get around part of it.

Back