Partially Through IFR, 2 question

bjohnsonmn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bjohnsonmn
Hello all,
I have two questions:
I am working on my IFR ticket, and am working on my written prep. There are a few online IFR practice tests, but I've lost my links. Can anyone suggest a good one?

Second, work has us on our own version of sequester (no, we aren't a government agency or service provider). This has meant an income reduction of 20%, and a suspension of all commission payments (which is really the killer for me). I am using MS FSX on VATSIM to stay somewhat current with IFR procedures (Amazingly helpful and "free"), and I am working on replenishing my flying fund. The question is, how have you fellow fliers funded your 100LL habit with side jobs, when you are a busy professional? I have worked in the technology and utility sectors for nearly 10 years, and am looking for some ideas, rather than looking for some handouts.

Best Regards!

I don't fund my 100LL with side jobs I chose everyday if "this new x thing is $100 is it worth an hour of flight time" Usually I say no and move on. As I posted in the "Keeping up with the Jones'" Husband and I are frugal and we don't buy new stuff to *keep up* we enjoy flying and work to pay for it.

Budget in the flying hours,take a good look at what is important,and what your priorities are,mine have to be flying.

I wish I had an answer for you. It is tough when you work for a living to budget money for flying (BTDT). It is going to hurt your progress if you have to stop for awhile to save up. Try to keep working on the IR a high priority and hang in there. Good luck.

Sage words on being frugal. The wife and I are pretty frugal, using miles and points for travel, shopping with coupons (amazing what my wife can do), and paying down our debts (Just completed the second mortgage, and paying extra principal on the first, taking it from 30 years to 15)...

Hello all,
I have two questions:
I am working on my IFR ticket, and am working on my written prep. There are a few online IFR practice tests, but I've lost my links. Can anyone suggest a good one?

Second, work has us on our own version of sequester (no, we aren't a government agency or service provider). This has meant an income reduction of 20%, and a suspension of all commission payments (which is really the killer for me). I am using MS FSX on VATSIM to stay somewhat current with IFR procedures (Amazingly helpful and "free"), and I am working on replenishing my flying fund. The question is, how have you fellow fliers funded your 100LL habit with side jobs, when you are a busy professional? I have worked in the technology and utility sectors for nearly 10 years, and am looking for some ideas, rather than looking for some handouts.

Best Regards!
If you have spare time and a cash flow problem, consider a part time job as a line person at your FBO. That's likely to provide discounts on airplane rentals and instruction in addition to generating some extra cash.

Back